Reaction score
OK so the tank has cycled!

Today I added some fish here is a list:

4 Zebra Danios ( Small)
3 Rasboras (Sm.)
3 Peppered Corys
1 Dwarf Ghourami
1 Black Molly

My question is, how long does it take for the bacteria to start to get some ammonia, and nitrite so they don't die out?
I am not feeding them for 24 hrs., and this is a 12 gal. tank.

Fish pee/poo is ammonia & nitrite, so the bacteria *can not* die out, unless, of course, there are no fish *or* plants *or* fish food in there, and, btw; what is the filtration on that tank? ^^; It looks somewhat overstocked.... :/ I'd say that you should get rid of the molly, or somethings. ^^;

Here, I went on AqAdvisor (was not quite sure what rasboras, so just picked harlequins!!) and this is the link: ^^; http://aqadvisor.com/AqAdvisor.php?AquTankName=&AquListBoxTank=Choose&AquTankLength=20&AquTankDepth=10&AquTankHeight=12&AquListBoxFilter=Other&AquTextFilterRate=N%2FA&AquListBoxFilter2=None&AquTextFilterRate2=N%2FA&AquFilterString=&AquListBoxChooser=Harlequin+Rasbora+%28Trigonostigma+heteromorpha%29&AquTextBoxQuantity=3&FormSubmit=Add+%3E&AquTextBoxRemoveQuantity=&AlreadySelected=Dwarf+Gourami+%28Colisa+lalia%29%3A1%3A%2CZebra+Danio+%28Danio+rerio%29%3A4%3A%2CMolly+%28Poecilia+sphenops%29%3A1%3A%2CPeppered+Cory+%28Corydoras+paleatus%29%3A3%3A&FilterMode=Add+%3E&AqTempUnit=C&AqVolUnit=gUS ^^;

The bacteria will be fine for that period of time. As far as tank stocking, I think its OK but I wouldn't add anything else.

Once fish are introduced to an aquarium, or any body of water for that matter, they start to produce ammonia immediately. Yes, ammonia is produced from fish waste, left over food and rotting debris in the tank, but the majority of the ammonia produced comes from when a fish breathes. Fish give off ammonia through respiration; this is where the majority of the ammonia comes from. So, the second you put those fish in your tank, there was an immediate source of ammonia for your bacteria.

Other than that, if there was no ammonia source for the bacteria, (Not in your case, just an example) the bacteria die off at a rate of around 3-10% daily.

-FHM

I think the ammonia question has been answered but I also second that the tank is overstocked and its too small for the corys also. Danios and rasboras are also schooling fish and should be kept in groups of at least 6 and I think the corys also like to be kept in a bigger group.

The tank is too small for the danios, they are extremely active fish and require a lot more swimming room than they currently have. Also the mollys can grow fairly large, upto about 4"

If it was my tank I would,

Rehome the danios and the 1 molly and replace them with a pair of dwarf gourami to make 2 female to 1 male and 3 more rasboras to take the shoal to 6.

The corys really need to be in larger groups than 3 but the tank isnt really bigt enough for 6+ corys, the tank might be better with 6+ pygmy corys rather than the 3 peppered.

Andy

When a fishless cycle is done properly, the bacterial populations will always die back some to match in the initial fish stocking. That's part of the plan - to have colonies that are *more* robust than needed for the initial stocking. The other way 'round doesn't work - if you have slightly smaller colonies than needed then you will experience traces of toxins when you first introduce fish.

~~waterdrop~~

Thanks for all the great advice, I will see about re-homing some of the fish. How can I tell if I have a female or male Ghourami?

If you have a colorful DG, it is a male. The female dwarf gouramis are rather a plain silvery color.

The tank is too small for the danios, they are extremely active fish and require a lot more swimming room than they currently have. Also the mollys can grow fairly large, upto about 4"

If it was my tank I would,

Rehome the danios and the 1 molly and replace them with a pair of dwarf gourami to make 2 female to 1 male and 3 more rasboras to take the shoal to 6.

The corys really need to be in larger groups than 3 but the tank isnt really bigt enough for 6+ corys, the tank might be better with 6+ pygmy corys rather than the 3 peppered.

Andy
OK so I followed arobinson's advice but I'm trying to find 2 female Dwarf Ghouramis, no one (not even online) seems to have any. I called my LFS and most don't carry females. Any suggestions on where I might find them would be appreciated.

Thanks.

If you are in the US, I have not seen a female in years. The male color makes the fish sell better so all the fish are manipulated, with hormones in the water, to resemble males. It helps in another way too. Unlike guppies or mollies, people do not get to breed their own replacements. These fish farmers are pretty tricky, aren't they? As far as using color to tell a male from a female, I found this on you tube with a pair mating. The female's color, lack of it, is obvious to me.

If you are in the US, I have not seen a female in years. The male color makes the fish sell better so all the fish are manipulated, with hormones in the water, to resemble males. It helps in another way too. Unlike guppies or mollies, people do not get to breed their own replacements. These fish farmers are pretty tricky, aren't they? As far as using color to tell a male from a female, I found this on you tube with a pair mating. The female's color, lack of it, is obvious to me.
Thanks OM I am in the US, and I did find a female online at Petsolutions but they are out of stock right now.
The picture of the female they show on Petsolutions is a drab silver and not any color like the male has.

Most reactions

Back