One Lucky Beta!

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

lrhodes

Fishaholic
Reaction score
my son is out to kill all my fish! (he is two...)

earlier today, I heard him in the back messing with the fish tank... I run back there and he had dumped two bottles of ich meds and a whole unopened bottle of pimafix in the 5 gallon beta tank!

I ran in the kitchen and grabbed the beta bowl (which I'm trying to grow plants in...) and got the beta out of the tank... He wasn't moving at all... He just fell right to the bottom of the bowl just gasping... I just knew he was dead.

A few seconds later while I'm tryin to clean the tank, he slowly starts swimming around... And coming to the top for air. Swimming kind of crooked.

Its been several hours (it happened around 3 and is almost 11 now) he is acting like nothing happened and he wasn't basically dead a little while ago! So... I'm thinking he can be put back in his tank in the morning... Its got completely washed out. And rinsed the filter media a little. I cannot believe he survived!

kids ugh! when we first got the big kid his betta I found little brother stepping up the stool with the fish net with a rock in it banging it around on the dresser, I asked him why and he said he didn't want his brother to have a fish.   o_0  I got to him before he opened the tank

Dont your meds have safety caps in the US?  Either that or u have one smart 2 year old
smile.png

I know prime doesnt have a safety cap. And any medication Ive had to use doesnt. So I dont think so. I just keep meds, water condtioner, and food upstairsd with the hermit crab stuff so I dont have to worry if we will have little kids over

Reading the tale of the younger sibling, I'm glad I involved both our two kids (2 and 4) with the introduction of a fish tank and of choosing the fish and they both think the fish are "a part of the family" rather than harbouring any jealousy over it.   Saying that, I will be keeping an eye out just in case anything develops in the future!

he's since had his own fish, now they have a rat, and all love to look at my fish

I think my son just wants to help... He all the time "feeds" them... Which is a disaster... And I think he was giving the beta meds because he has been watching me treat ich in our 55 gallon...

I keep all the meds and fish stuff in the very top of my closet! But he's a pretty smart two year old... And the fish need don't have safety caps... Which they should!

But the beta is just fine today!

Glad your betta is ok!

I had a similar issue about a month ago, but with food. We were getting our boys ready for bed (I have a betta set up in our bedroom) and all was quiet with the eldest (3) turned out he'd fed Vader :/ I shot down the stairs and netted all the food I could whilst my husband kept his hand in the way of Vader getting too much food.

I always let them help me feed him - just two pellets each every other night but he managed to get hold of the flake!

Most reactions

Back