Old Tanks

llamalord305

Fishaholic
Reaction score
So I'm getting a 150 gal from my uncle. ( :hyper: ) He was talking about how since it was such an old tank (Made around 1980's) that it was missing a "center bracket" I believe he said that new tanks today have. That's why the glass was so thick. (It was) Can someone explain? I also read about old tanks having their glass become thin at the top so it eventually breaks. I'm worried about that.
If anyone's curious about the history of the tank, it was owned by a Japanese guy who had an arowana in it. It died, and he was depressed so he gave it to his girlfriend. She was gonna throw it away, but my uncle picked it up off her. He had discuses. He moved to Florida and had some more discuses. Now I'm getting it. It also has a sump. :good:
Thanks.

A nice tank from the 80s with a sump is definitely worth having if it is in good shape.
Older tanks were made with thicker glass in most cases and the bending force of the water weight was resisted by the glass being thick enough to be rather stiff. These days, the glass in a tank is much thinner and would break if the tank had no center brace. A newer tank that has had its center brace removed is a disaster waiting to happen but an older thick glass tank without a center brace is no problem.

I would reinforce the top rim of the tank due to its age, glass isn't a solid it is an extremely viscous liquid and gradually it flows to the base of the tank. Just a wooden or metal reinforcement box frame will really help.

The fish tanks from the 80's were built like a rock. I have one that my dad used at his old church office. It's in great shape. It even sat out in the garage for 8 years empty. Never been resealed before. It's a 30g without a brace. The glass is fairly thick also.

That's a 29 year old tank tops. If it was 59 years old I might be concerned with the glass flowing & thinning at the top. The top is the area of least stress, the bottom with water pressure is where more stress would occur. This is not an issue with this tank.

Breeders would kill for that tank, or any older tank designed to be strong enough without the center brace. Try netting dozens of fish in a tank with a center brace, real pain.

I have an old tank for the 80's too, its housed allsorts including turtles. my son has it now as a community tank, its scratched but solid.

tanks need to be resealed at some point, especially if they're left empty for a while. If it's never been resealed, I'd go ahead and do it. Take a look at the DIY board and see how it's done.

I would reinforce the top rim of the tank due to its age, glass isn't a solid it is an extremely viscous liquid and gradually it flows to the base of the tank. Just a wooden or metal reinforcement box frame will really help.

Glass is a colloidal solid, and is actually a fluid rather than a liquid.

tanks need to be resealed at some point, especially if they're left empty for a while. If it's never been resealed, I'd go ahead and do it. Take a look at the DIY board and see how it's done.

Mine old tank's seals are in great condition. I most likely wont reseal it until I go to college( or when I get back it if sits empty )

Most reactions

Back