Ok Serious Problem!

davidblackson

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
ok after some advice from great people on this forum and other friends i have figured that my tank (6x2x2) was not properly cycled before i added 48 african cichlids.. now the ammonia levels are high aswell as nitirite i have done daily 50% water changes i borrowed 20kgs of mature gravel from a friend and i have placed it in my trickle filter. WHAT ELSE CAN I DO will the gravel help?., please help me!! salt has also been added as i was told this will help

The gravel will help, but if you could borrow some mature media from that friend, it would be great!

Try and keep to the same thread or it gets confusing.
All you can do is water changes and increase aeration till the tanks cycled.

sorry about the threads, but im learning as this is happening ( and im still learning about forums. { there a great source of information}) how long will this take as im going on hollidays soon and i wont be able to change water for 10 days..,, OOOOOOoooohh how did i let this happen i thought it was cycled ammonia and nitrite was 0 and nitrate was 10 will the fish be ok. my friends tank is only 100 litres i dont think he will have enough to make a difference in a 670 litre tank will the salt help cheers. dave.

Just hope it cycles before you go away.
Or you might have to ask your friend to keep up with the water changes.
Not sure on salt with your fish I would ask in the right part of the forum.
Good luck.

Post here.
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showforum=13

ANY Media will make a HUGE difference as you will be adding mature bacteria that takes ages to cultivate. The nitrite bacteria are the slow ones and take a while but if its on mature media will be mutiplying like rabbits.

I would say 1 slice of media and about a week with your already half cycled tank should see some major changes to make it a bit safer. Also up the temp a little to aid growth. If your africans can take it about 27C would do the job. makes a massive difference to growth on bacteria

Most reactions

Back