Oily Film On Water Surface

DiabloSandwich

Reaction score
Hi,
I have an oily film that forms on the surface of my water,after only a day or two of doing a water change.
Is this a problem,and if so,how do you deal with it/remove it?
Ive seen some floating carbon tablets online ,will these absorb it?

any ideas?
Thanks
John

Hi,
I have an oily film that forms on the surface of my water,after only a day or two of doing a water change.
Is this a problem,and if so,how do you deal with it/remove it?
Ive seen some floating carbon tablets online ,will these absorb it?

any ideas?
Thanks
John

It can be a problem because it can stop oxygenation, the solution is very easy, scoop out the oily film of the top and do a 10-20% water change and it should be fine.

Thanks for the quick reply :good:

It looks awful too,I'll have to find something that will suck it up off the surface ,then do the small water change like you said.

Thanks

Make sure 1) your hands are clean and free of any lotion or oils when you put your hands in the tank and 2) you're not spraying anything into the air, such as air freshener, deodorant, bug spray, anything aerosol.

Increase your surface agitation and up the filter flow if possible. It's normally a result of feeding oily/high protein food, or comes off your skin if you've been putting your hands in a lot, esp if you have cream on etc.

Most of it will be oils from the fish food; it's quite normal and nothing to worry about. I can't imagine it would get thick enough to interfere with oxygenation, especially if the outlet from your filter is rippling the surface of the water (which it should be, even if only in some areas of the tank).

Dont worry about it. Like Fluttermouth said, usually from food. Absolutely nothing to worry about. People are paranoid with their oxygenation theories lol

Get a sheet of newspaper and drag it across the surface. This should remove the oily film. It is usually caused by the food you are feeding.

Would that not leach all the ink into the water? I would just try to suck it out when you do a water change but don't worrie too much about it.

Would that not leach all the ink into the water? I would just try to suck it out when you do a water change but don't worrie too much about it.

Nope. That is why it is advised that you use it to clean windowscreens with it. You can't 'suck' it off the surface as your syphon needs to be under water for it to work. :rolleyes:

Dont worry about it. Like Fluttermouth said, usually from food. Absolutely nothing to worry about. People are paranoid with their oxygenation theories lol
LOL!!
How true! Newbies seem to be obsessed with pH and oxygen, don't they?

Most reactions

Back