Odd Greenish Tiny (And I Mean Tiny) Living Dots In My Tank?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

totallytech

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I've got a small problem, this morning I woke up and my tank has gained around 30 baby snails (I only had one snail)... whilst checking the tank and trying to count my snails I noticed some strange green living dots... they are TINY - as in the tip of a pin size... They are living as they are moving and swimming but they are only underneath the gravel...

v6sx6v.jpg

293zqtv.jpg

Firstly, I am certain my tank cannot support so many snails, as its only a 24L tank...
Secondly, Any ideas what the green stuff is, is it dangerous and should I / Can i get rid?

What kind of snail is the parent?

Is it possible the green stuff is really small snails or possibly just some floating debris?

Those could be some type of parasite or maybe harmless, you may have to wait some time for them to grow, of if they grow.

The snail population can be fixed with 1 or 2 assassin snails, or if you have no invertebrates with in the tank besides the snails you can use a copper treatment which will call of them, you will just have to watch for ammonia spikes after the treatment.

We aren't really sure what type of snail we have as it was a hitch hiker in a moss ball!

I believe it was in a tank containing red spotted snails?? but I cannot be sure and at the moment the snail doesnt have any markings on it...

We have 1 shrimp on its own (after its friend passed away about 2 weeks ago) and a bottom feeder too so thinking we will have to go for assassin snails, but I've never had those, will they kill anything else in the tank?

The little green things have all disappeared today, so either it looked like they were moving but it was a freaky water movement thing, or they've all moved out of sight, or they've all been eaten... the tank looks fairly clean again now.

The assassin snails can kill shrimplets but your shrimp wont be having babies on its own so your ok.

Most reactions

Back