Octopus anyone?

rcl

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I am looking for anyone who has experience in keeping an octopus. I think it would be an incredibly interesting fish to keep, but I have so many questions. I'm sure SOMEBODY here has one!

Robert

I thinnk this is a more marine fish question but this is what iv'e read
They are very expensive
Rarely seen in aquariums
Easily escape
Need very good and constant watter conditions
Eat most reef animals
as you can see the book was sorta biased against them and just gave wanings but theres gotta be some pro's

my friends octopus jumped out the tank and chased their cat! they got it on video

my friends octopus jumped out the tank and chased their cat! they got it on video

why does the little man in my head tell me that your lying? :dunno:

anyway, have a read of this

Octopus

Bea/\/ said:
Can we see this video then? B)

rcl how expertised r u at marine tanks?

according to that article u need not to be begginer to have one

so lets see that video. do u have it? mind sending me a copy?
even if that did happen a octopus could easily kill a cat

you have to be carfull not to stress them as they can and will ink in the tank same with squid

the octopus is for the extremely experienced marine hobbyist. they dont live long (about a year) and you have to keep them in a large tank-alone! they are very sensitive to water parameters and they are excellent escape artists.

no-an octopus could not easliy kill a cat.

Actually some of them live up to 8 years but then those are also the ones too large for the trade. I don't see the point in keeping anything that lives less than 5 years on average.

i heard that if you don't occupy them, that they will tear up your tank. i've seen them on tv, and the way that they keep them from tearing up the tank is by putting his food in a jar with a screw on top. they're real smart, and so figity, that they just have to be meddeling with something...

Definitely need entertainment. I've seen and heard the same stories myself about bored Octipi going mad and rearranging their tank or getting loose and wreaking havoc on other aquariums.

Having them live one year is no big deal. I think it would be neat to see something grow through its whole life in this span of time (although parting with, and especially DISPOSING of, an octopus.... that wouldn't be fun!) I was thinking of a smaller breed of octopus and have heard they can live in a 30 gal through their lifespan (obviously alone and with LR/cover). You would have to completely cover the tank and beware of escaping of course.. that would be quite a task! As far as being extremely experienced, I have never run a sw tank but I have learned a whole lot about it from helping my gf set hers up and from just learning in general (and I feel I am pretty knowledgable about freshwater... theres a lot of crossover). I would just really like to talk to people that actually have KEPT them, not just heard stories about them. This seems to be the trend though...

I am wondering if it can attack and bite me? I'm also wondering how on earth you ship if they will ink, do they just not do it at such an early age? What are some other interesting toys maybe?

Thanks for the interest everyone

Robert

maybe that octopus is one of those very rare ones which only appear in certain peoples minds and have the magic ability to sprout legs and live out of the water :dunno:

i'd also like to see that video, i'm sure since you friends with the person, it wont be hard to obtain

Most reactions

Back