"ocean Rock" For Mbuna Tank

SlyPolak

Fishaholic
Reaction score
So I was looking everywhere for rock to make caves and such for my future cichlids and came upon this site ~~ http://www.marcorocks.com/
They sell "Key Largo" ocean rock for GREAT prices and its the same thing as "Fiji" rock... Is it usable in freshwater??

Some of the best rocks in my FW tanks were picked up on the beach..... (thoroughly washed, of course to remove all the little crabs & worms hiding in the crevaces, and a couple of days in the sun)....

Last night I ordered 50 pounds ... $120 !!!! but free shipping, should get them tomorrow or Thurs..... will def. post pics once I have them set up in the tank....

Got my rock... 52 lbs.

DSC01602.jpg

Those are awesome, especially the way they are stacked. I would probably boil them, not washing them, to get anything you don't want on them gone just in case.... but those definitely cool!

So its been about 3 weeks since everything got setup fish included and I thought I would post a pic or two......

The rock setup was impossibly hard to replicate in the tank so I switched it up a bit.
DSC01611.jpg

I have decided to stock with 6 Labidochromis caeruleus, 5 Pseudotropheus acei, and 3 Synodontis eupterus.. you can see one in the rock that I took out of one of my other tanks and I bought him/her 2 more juvi playmates....(when the cats get too big im sticking them in my 130 gal.)
Im thinkin of getting a few Iodotropheus sprengerae but Im not sure yet....
DSC01610.jpg

So what do you guys/gals think??

Ones tank is very personal, but I don't like the look of the fake plants. Sorry.

HA, its str8 man,,,, i didnt have them in there first but the thing looked too bare..plus the filter tube and heater were standing out

I prefer planted tanks myself like all of my others but i know how cichlids can be with plants

Nice looking tank, job well done, I use ocean rock in my tanks as I like the look, like the sand you have in there, cool tank :good:

HA, its str8 man,,,, i didnt have them in there first but the thing looked too bare..plus the filter tube and heater were standing out

I prefer planted tanks myself like all of my others but i know how cichlids can be with plants

Absolutely.
It's your tank, so you must do what pleases you.

Btw, I never had plants in my Mbuna set up. But apparently Vallis and Anubias could be ok.

Being a marine keeper as well as a cichlid keeper, most 'ocean' rock is formed from the calcium carbonate skeletons of stony corals...so it will keep the water nice and hard for you ;)

Being a marine keeper as well as a cichlid keeper, most 'ocean' rock is formed from the calcium carbonate skeletons of stony corals...so it will keep the water nice and hard for you ;)

Well thats what I thought.... keeps the Ph at a nice and steady 8.0 BUT has only risen the hardness a bit, they come out of the tap as GH~ 125.3 ppm and KH~ 107.4 ppm ..... But after I test the water in the tank GH~ 143.2 and KH~ 125.3 ppm... only by a point or two of dKH ....

and Squid- I aam planning on trying a few Amazon Swords in there and see what happens.

Yeah they are looking good really like the rock build. I'm currently using live rock not as good setup as the last time but happy with :)

I dont think didz meant ALIVE rock... the rock that I have used to be alive so marine aquarists call it "live rock"

Most reactions

Back