Obese Axolotls

blinky000

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
My guys and girls are in serious need of a diet. They've been living with my dad for a few years because I've not had the space for them and after about 6 months, I visited them for the first time and they were COLOSSAL I asked dad what he'd been feeding them. Turns out they'd been eating nothing but ox liver. So I chastised him, bought some proper pellets and thought that'd be the end of it.
Well, they're coming home tomorrow so I asked dad if I'd need to buy them any more food, and it turns out he's STILL been feeding them ox liver! :< And don't even get me started on me telling him the difference between the sexes and them still living together...
So now I have 5 obese axolotls who are desperately in need of a treadmill or something. But how do you diet an axolotl? I have pellets for them but how much shall I cut their intake to?

Feed each adult 1 (ONE) earth worm every other day. That is a nice perfect portion and schedule for you to feed them. you can buy two dozen or so from a bait shop (no risk of pesticides/fertilizers) for about $3 dollars.

Fast them for 1 or 2 days (im kinda afraid fasting axolotl for 2 days) and feed them little bits of food Hope this helps

If my male put's too much weight on(Example: when my mum feeds him for about 2 weeks) I fast him for 3 days then I feed him 1(ONE) cube of bloodworm for about 1 week every 2 days. This has kept at a healthy weight. Hope this helps.

Most reactions

Back