Oak Veneered 3Ft Cabinet Build

murph

Reaction score
I've got myself a 160l tank upgrade (36x15x18) and it needs a cabinet to sit on!

As I already have a Habitat 'Max' AV unit, I want the cabinet to match it (picture below).
96%7C00000b6ce%7C64af_MaxMediaStorage-Habitat.jpg

I had two options- either spend £500 on the matching sideboard (AV unit was £400 :S) and then spend more time (and effort) making it strong enough to hold 250kg of aquarium, or build something myself. The latter is the reason for this build thread :)

So far I've got the design sorted for the carcass. Doors will come later when I can sort out access to a friend's, friend's workshop. For now this will be done in my garage. Like the Habitat furniture, I'm building this from MDF veneered with white oak, with solid oak for the doors when I sort them out.

Frame made from 44mm x 44mm redwood;
Tankstand.png

Outer skin from 25mm MDF (to be veneered);
Tankstand2.png

Off to B&Q in the morning- comes to £50 with my trade card :D

you paid £400 for that unit? eew ;D gluck with the build! and gluck getting everything you need in the snow :D

Not exactly ;) I like Mr Conran's wares but that price would have been ridiculous!

It was a customer return due to the most pathetic of manufacturing marks, so a 70% reduction for me via a friend that worked there.

Shall be 'braving' the snow in a moment!

Most reactions

Back