Now, Why Can'T I Top Off A Tank?

GuppyGoddess

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Is it okay to top off the water with some fish? I posted about a betta I have who has had problems when I do water changes (he use to sulk but now when I do them, he freaks and looses his color for hours). His tank water seems to evaporate very quickly and I am wondering is it okay if I add two cups (16 oz) of water every day or every other so I don't have to stress him with the sypon routine.

Anyone have luck with this?

We usually discourage topping off a tank because people will do it instead of water changes. I top off water quite often in my own tanks with RO water to simply replace evaporation. That does not mean that you get to avoid the weekly water changes, they are still needed. Topping off a tank does nothing to remove the nitrates and other poisons that will build up in your tank.

[Okay, I was still planning to do the every-three-day changes. . .but, there is no dilution of ammonia if I'm topping it off every morning inbetween the water changes?

Is it okay to top off the water with some fish? I posted about a betta I have who has had problems when I do water changes (he use to sulk but now when I do them, he freaks and looses his color for hours). His tank water seems to evaporate very quickly and I am wondering is it okay if I add two cups (16 oz) of water every day or every other so I don't have to stress him with the sypon routine.

Anyone have luck with this?

I agree with old man! When I clean my columbian sharks tank they dont like it either they will stop swimming around and just set on the bottom of the tank like there pouting. Once im done a few mins later there fine. When you clean your betta tank do you take the betta out of the tank?

As the ammonia accumulates in your betta tank, it needs to be removed by water changes. Topping off will not remove ammonia at all. I top off cycled tanks with mineral-free water until it is time for a water change but the top off is never a substitute for a water change. That is why we usually avoid talking about topping off with new fish keepers.

[/quote]

I agree with old man! When I clean my columbian sharks tank they dont like it either they will stop swimming around and just set on the bottom of the tank like there pouting. Once im done a few mins later there fine. When you clean your betta tank do you take the betta out of the tank?
[/quote]

No, he's not taken out of the tank. For a while I was doing that, but now he's too hip on the routine and is impossible to catch. Guess I need more patience and will make sure I do catch him for now on. Hopefully he won't be upset like he was this last time (he was so pale, I was sure he was on his last fin!).

He'll soon learn the routine bettas are notoriouse sulkers :rolleyes: (i have 3 did have 4 at 1 point but had some major tank mishaps) but fish have 9 month memories and soon learn routines and even recognize people.

I find that water evaporates quickly in smaller tanks or tanks with incandescent lights so I usually have to top them off between water changes. As long has you can distinguish between top-offs and water changes by all means go ahead.

My betta is in a arc tank 35L which is partly open at the top, I find I have to top up once a week. Every 2 - 3 weeks I syphon and 50% water change. I must have the happiest betta ever, he never sulks. I hope yours settles down soon.

My betta is in a arc tank 35L which is partly open at the top, I find I have to top up once a week. Every 2 - 3 weeks I syphon and 50% water change. I must have the happiest betta ever, he never sulks. I hope yours settles down soon.

every 2-3 weeks on a little 35L tank? with bettas which are messy eaters. :nod:
i do mine twice a week, and it only contains shrimp.

every 2-3 weeks on a little 35L tank? with bettas which are messy eaters. :nod:
i do mine twice a week, and it only contains shrimp.

Yeah thats crazy-talk man you need to do 25% at least once a week. This exactly is why some members discourage top-offs. The long-term exposure to nitrate is going to bite that little guy in the rear!

Oh! I better do weekly water changes on that tank. Thought a 50% every 2 weeks was plenty.

you should be doing weekly changes on every tank of about 50% unless the stocking is so low, you can probably get away with 30%.

i know some people do W/C's every 6 months or more, as they have special tanks that are low tech and low stocking. but they are exceptions and these people know what they are doing. i woulodnt really recommend it.

Top offs with fresh water is important between water changes if you use aquarium salt or the salt content will increase. Salt doesn't evaporate.

top offs should be fine as long as you keep doing regular water changes (as said above by a number of people^^). try to make sure the top off water is low in dissolved salts and minerals or it can build up. RO water is best, but low hardness water should be fine too :good:

Most reactions

Back