Not Quite "household"

Nerwign

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
This is one of the birds that I work with in my education program. I take birds out to classrooms and other educational events. I am licensed by the State of California and the US Federal Fish and Wildlife to educate with live native and restricted species of birds.

This handsome fellow is an Augur Buzzard named Zike (Zee-Kay). He was born in a captive breeding program in the US and was parent-reared. I have been working with him since he was a couple months old. These pictures show off his immature plumage, I'll try to find some of his adult plumage. He hasn't been an immature for a few years now.

Augur Buzzards are native to North East Africa, and eat only meat. Their main source of prey are Yellow-Toothed Moles but at my place he eats mostly rats and mice (which are fed to him already deceased). He is about as big as a Red Tailed Hawk or Common Buzzard, weighing in at around 1,000-1,100 grams.

zikep.jpg

zikex.jpg

zikew.jpg

Very, very, very stunning bird. I must admit...when I read buzzard, thought it'd be a picture more like a vulture.

Glad to see it's not!

Lovely bird.

What a stunning majestic creature indeed :wub:

Thank you all, I realized on the drive home I probably should have posted this in the "other pictures" catagory or something, as he's not only not quite household but he's not a "pet" in that he's still quite a wild animal and though he is very leniant with me, he doesn't love me like a dog would etc.

He's a wonderful and completely fascinating bird though. I am blessed to get to work with him and my other amazing birds.

-Nerwign

1 Swinhoe Pheasant
1 Luzon Bleeding-Heart Dove
2 Cockatiels
1 Pin-Tailed Whydah
1 House Sparrow
1 Augur Buzzard

Also in my care:
1 Harris Hawk
1 Great Horned Owl

wow, wow! what a stunning bird. I love birds of prey, especially the peregrine falcon and batleur eagle and any vulture! we're very lucky where we live as every day we get to see red kites flying around. The other day there were 7 red kites and 7 common buzzards all flying round together - that was a real wow moment for me :good:

Most reactions

Back