Not Having Much Luck With My New Oscar.

DazzaClio

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi,

I recently got a new Tiger Oscar, hes about 7 inchs and put him in with my Albinos which ive had for a few years from a small size.

They seem to be getting along ok, when i first put him in, I made a cave out of some bog wood so he has the option to hide if he wants from the bigger Oscars.

Then he kept bashing and scrapping on it so i took it all out.

After a couple of days he just sits in the corner of my tank on his side most of the time.

Hes also started getting like some white slime looking stuff on him.

Now im worried that theres something wrong which could affect my two other Oscars so far they havent got anything on them.

Ive looked around on here and think it might be something like this: bacerial infection through trauma.

I have done a couple of small water changes to try and help.

Heres some quick pics:

IMG_6373.jpg

IMG_6374.jpg

Sorry to go on but any help or advice would be great.

Thanks Darren.

that looks like ich to me

Ive never had a problem with my Albinos before but since i got the Tiger its got this.

If it is Ich how do they get it?
What causes it?
Could it spread to my Albinos?
Best cure?

Thanks Again Darren.

you should find this topic very helpful....

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=7092

That is not Ich!!! your first diagnosis would be correct, he has got a fungal infection from scraping against the cave, the stress of a new tank will also contribute to is, plus if he is being bullied by the other oscars its all added up. It shouldnt affect the others providing they dont have any wounds. If possible move him to another tank, lots of clean water and you can use and antifungal med such as Primafix, Protozin or Esha 2000

Yep deffo not Ich, I have never seen white spot anything like that!

Is that the Oscar you got from Maidenhead Aquatics Taunton?

If so, they do tend to come with some unwanted baddys from there very overstocked/cramped weirs, i bought a 7" Red Spotted Severum from there about a year ago for what i thought was a bargain @ £30, didn't realise till I got home he had a lot of holes on his gill plates and head, I assumed it was battle wounds because he came from that tank that has that large red devil, the holes got worse and he died a few weeks later with fungusy type stuff (different to what your fish has, it was more solid and less slimey looking) coming from his gills, never lost any of my own fish (other than the sev) from the same tank after treating.

Maidenhead is a good shop, but some of the cramped living conditions of the fish in the weirs (30+ large cichlids in 5ft weirs, also bad mixes like Midas with Uaru etc) is just asking for these types of things to happen.

you should find this topic very helpful....

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=7092

Thanks, good read but i dont think its Ich tbh.

That is not Ich!!! your first diagnosis would be correct, he has got a fungal infection from scraping against the cave, the stress of a new tank will also contribute to is, plus if he is being bullied by the other oscars its all added up. It shouldnt affect the others providing they dont have any wounds. If possible move him to another tank, lots of clean water and you can use and antifungal med such as Primafix, Protozin or Esha 2000

Yeah agree i dont think its Ich. My spare tank isnt really big enough tbh its only a 40 litre one of my first tanks i bought when i was younger.
I dont think hes being bullied as they seem to get along alright, i just fed them some Hikari Cichlid Gold and he loved that he was knocking the Albinos out the way for it.
I went and got some Protozin havent used it yet, if i need to use it will it be ok to put it in the same tank and wont affect my Albinos?

Some good news thought i done about a 60% water change this afternoon and with time hes already looking better and alot more alert.

IMG_6376.jpg

Sorry about the camera reflection of the glass.

Yep deffo not Ich, I have never seen white spot anything like that!

Is that the Oscar you got from Maidenhead Aquatics Taunton?

If so, they do tend to come with some unwanted baddys from there very overstocked/cramped weirs, i bought a 7" Red Spotted Severum from there about a year ago for what i thought was a bargain @ £30, didn't realise till I got home he had a lot of holes on his gill plates and head, I assumed it was battle wounds because he came from that tank that has that large red devil, the holes got worse and he died a few weeks later with fungusy type stuff (different to what your fish has, it was more solid and less slimey looking) coming from his gills, never lost any of my own fish (other than the sev) from the same tank after treating.

Maidenhead is a good shop, but some of the cramped living conditions of the fish in the weirs (30+ large cichlids in 5ft weirs, also bad mixes like Midas with Uaru etc) is just asking for these types of things to happen.

Yeah i got him from Maidenhead the other day, went it there for a look and saw him all by himself in one of their little 40 litre tanks so felt sorry for him and took him home.
He got bought back to the shop for some reason.

Sorry to hear about your Severum.

Thanks Again Darren.

He is looking a little better, I would suspect if he is eating with the big ones, then they may have accepted him and he has damaged himself somewhere in the tank (my one oscar does this all the time) It may clear up with some extra wc, either daily or every other day for a few days.

He is looking a little better, I would suspect if he is eating with the big ones, then they may have accepted him and he has damaged himself somewhere in the tank (my one oscar does this all the time) It may clear up with some extra wc, either daily or every other day for a few days.

Yeah hes defo alot better earlier it was all white fluffy stuff hanging off in places and now and the hanging bits have gone and its smooth now just got some white marks, see what he looks like tomorrow.

Do you think i should put some of the 'Protozin' in, if yes will it affect my Albinos.

Thanks Again Darren.

If its just scrapes on the tiger then it shouldnt affect the others unless you have water quality problems, so maybe hold off on the protozin for a couple of days longer, just extra water changes and it should clear up hopefully, if its not all gone within the next couple of days or starts to get worse then use protozin.

Seen as the information is flowing already i'm gonna ask what the golf ball is for? lol :blink:

I'm assuming the golf ball is a 'toy' for the Oscars. I'd be reluctant to use something as solid as a golf ball, on the basis if your oscar bashed it in the right way it would easily crack your tank! Think what they do to heaters and thermometers ect. A gold ball on the side isnt exactly going to tap the glass lightly haha!

If its just scrapes on the tiger then it shouldnt affect the others unless you have water quality problems, so maybe hold off on the protozin for a couple of days longer, just extra water changes and it should clear up hopefully, if its not all gone within the next couple of days or starts to get worse then use protozin.

Yeah im holding off with the Protozin as its nearly all gone, yeah will do a few more water changes to be on the safe side.

Seen as the information is flowing already i'm gonna ask what the golf ball is for? lol :blink:

The golf balls and ping pong balls are their toys.

I'm assuming the golf ball is a 'toy' for the Oscars. I'd be reluctant to use something as solid as a golf ball, on the basis if your oscar bashed it in the right way it would easily crack your tank! Think what they do to heaters and thermometers ect. A gold ball on the side isnt exactly going to tap the glass lightly haha!

Yeah i understand what you are saying they seem to play with the ping pong balls more as they are probley abit easier to push around as they are lighter and bounce.

How is he doing?

Hi Mate.

Yeah he is looking alot better tbh i will try and get another pictures sometime today :good:.

Thanks Again Darren.

Most reactions

Back