Not been on for ages and need advice on replacement filter

terrypin

Reaction score
Hi I have a Trigon 350l corner tank which is planted and freshwater. I run 2 aquael ultramax 2000 filters. One of my filters has started to leak, I work long shifts and even though if is only weeping I will replace it for my own peace of mind. My question is what are opinions about Fluval fx2 which seems to be small enough to go in the cabinet.

Fluval external canister filters used to be good but I'm not sure on how good they are now.

Which part of your filter is leaking?
If it's the O-ring, they can normally be replaced. There's not really any other parts that can leaks unless something has broken or just loosened up over time.

Thanks for the reply Colin it is not the Fluval that is leaking. I am unable to source any spares for the Ultrmax 2000. I have stripped it out and clean where it joins. This first started after I did a clean out then I stopped that . two weeks later I cleaned the prefilter and it started leaking again. Because I am 24hour shifts I am not theere to stop any potential floods this is why I am considering a replacement with the FX2.

The fluval fx series are ok. I have an fx6 and i presume the fx2 is similar with a smaller motor and canister. They are a little painful to clean esp if you have to drain the water out before moving it - this might be less true with the fx2. I've not used the fluval 4 series and 2 series (stuff like 407); so i can';t comment on them but they are very popular. The smaller eheim would also work - i find them easier to maintain but they have other issues that make them just as bad as the fluval or worse. However neither have leaked in the 5+ years i've had them despite issues. Leakage is the number one concern with any of these products since water damage can be extremely expensive and annoying - there are anumber of other brands but i can't vouch for any of htem first hand and i prefer to talk abuot products i've used. hobs also work - they have their own pro and cons - i believe the aquaclear, tidal and one of the marine land are all well respected in this area - i've used the aquaclear before replacing it with a eheim classic on my 40b and prefer the canister filter mostly for the way the spray bar moved the water - gentle but also full width. However there are situations where the aquaclear water dump is a positive depending on aquarium layout and stocking.
-
I'll let others comment on filters they ahve used - but i will note if your aquarium is 350 liters (90 gallons) you would need 1 fx6 or 1 fx4 (if lightly stocked) or two fx2. The fluval spray bar for the fx6 is pretty darn nice but the fx6 makes a jet stream - so with an aquarium wanting a more gentle flow the fx2 would be the better route.

Hi I have a Trigon 350l corner tank which is planted and freshwater. I run 2 aquael ultramax 2000 filters. One of my filters has started to leak, I work long shifts and even though if is only weeping I will replace it for my own peace of mind. My question is what are opinions about Fluval fx2 which seems to be small enough to go in the cabinet.
Hello. Just curious. Why do you run so much filtration for just 90 gallons of water?

Hello. Just curious. Why do you run so much filtration for just 90 gallons of water?

Usually, because a person is keeping fish that come from moving water, or keeps fish that have needs beyond the easiest species. 2 filters is just common sense to me, so one is always there if the other breaks down, or if you have cleaned or had to change media.

I have an Fx-4 on my 450ltr/120gallon tank, as one of the filters. It's the main one. I also have a large, quite old Aquaclear HOB on that tank. I've been running the FX for 2.5 years without any problems. I'm not usually a fan of canisters, but this one is very good in my experience. The flow is excellent and it's never leaked. I am also not always quick to clean canisters, and it has been consistent in spite of that.

Hello Gary. Okay. Never kept fish that specifically require water movement. Of course, I've always kept the most available and the hardiest kinds. Thanks for the explanation.

"Required" is a loaded word, but standing in streams in tropical places has convinced me most of our fish, with few exceptions, like water movement if we want to be anywhere close to what they live in. I have never seen fish in stagnant ponds. So while I don't know the original poster's set up, I assume he/she has caught on to that good idea.
Horses don't require pastures - they can live in barns. But why do that when it's easy to provide better conditions?

I thought there were some asian fishes (betta? Gourami?) that were mostly found in stagnant pools.

"Required" is a loaded word, but standing in streams in tropical places has convinced me most of our fish, with few exceptions, like water movement if we want to be anywhere close to what they live in. I have never seen fish in stagnant ponds. So while I don't know the original poster's set up, I assume he/she has caught on to that good idea.
Horses don't require pastures - they can live in barns. But why do that when it's easy to provide better conditions?

Bettas are found in swamps, rice growing areas, floodzone ponds, etc. They have a slow water adaptation - the labyrinth organ - to deal with low oxygen levels. But even in the Betta family, there are mouthbrooders from moving waters. Several gouramis, also with labyrinths, occupy similar niches. In Africa, the 'deadwater' niche is occupied by annual killifish, as it is in South America, with Rivulus and annual killies.
Labyrinth fish are popular in aquariums all out of proportion to how common they are in nature, because they tolerate rough conditions.
I caught some gouramis in Gabon out of water that was really moving. No aquarium could be that fast without serious turbulence in the corners and ends. I caught 2 different species in one quick stream. Nature breaks all our rules, but overall, water moves.

Fancy Bettas in nature would be like pugs in a wolfpack - their habitat is jars on fishfarms.

A good exercise is to leave the cities where most of us live in mid summer and take a few walks out in nature. Look at the water and compare it to your tanks. How many still as glass water bodies do you see, compared to ones with waves, currents, riffles or wind driven turnover?

Fancy Bettas in nature would be like pugs in a wolfpack - their habitat is jars on fishfarms.

Maybe not that much... But in nature they would surely have some special hairdo.

When I transfer "Big" to a 1/2 gallon fish bowl to do a deep clean of his tank. He looks like he just got a death sentence. And falls to the bottom fins clamped like he's been hit by a propeller. I wouldn't say he looks like at home at this point ;)

I agree that where you see fishes, you have water movement. There are not that many fishes that can thrive in completely stagnant water.

Most reactions

Back