North East England Stockists

sandra_may

Reaction score
This is for anyone living in the Cleveland area in North East England, I would really appreciate it if someone could recommend some decent fish shops in the area.

I have been to two in Billingham and seen what they have to offer, not sure if they are any good though to be honest with being so new to this so would like to have a look around some that other people buy from. I am prepared to travel quite far to make sure that the stock and advice I get are of good quality.

Of course there are a few Pets At Home stores around here but I've been put off them coz it seems that every time I go in there seems to be quite a few either dead or ill looking fish hanging about at unusual angles and what have you.

Any suggestions of places to look or not to look will be greatly appreciated, I've not even bought my tank yet (which I'm hoping to order at the weekend) so it will be a while before I'm ready to buy any fish but I wanna do this right and get a feel for whats right and who is good at their job etc.

Thanks in advance.

San.

you've got Maidenhead Aquatics (Strikes Stokesly), Peter Barrets in Stockton and theres a good one in Redcar just alongside the railway station, small (just fish) shop but very well knowledged and friendly staff.
There was a few that were really good but unfortunatly have now closed :(

I'm from Newcastle so not millions of miles away. I find Peter Barrats are reasonable for fish. I got my first gold fish from there (15 years ago); I went in this weekend to ask about tanks and something they didn't sell and they always seem to know what they are talking about. My friend LOVES Peter Barrats, as she got duff advice from a fish place once and when she went there to ask they told her everything she needed to know. That might just be our Peter Barrats though.

As for Pets at home, I'm not sure, I've only looked around there. Do you have a dobbies garden centre close by? They are ok for fish.

The main thing is to find somewhere, which looks clean and healthy.

There is a fantastic aquatics shop in Newcastle if you wanted to drive this far, I think it only did saltwater and tropical fish oh and lots of coral.

Avoid the Peter Barratts at Eaglescliffe unless you have a quarantine tank. But they do get some unusual fish. Billingham Aq is reasonable, never bought from Petmania. Neata Aq in Stockton centre only stocks a few fish but is OK for non-fish stuff (the only place I could find basic API water conditioner and crushed coral). Pets at Home in Teesside Park don't have a big selection of fish. I've not made my mind up about Maidenhead Aq in Strikes at Stokesley. They have a good selection but I've heard some dodgy advice, and the fish I've got from there haven't lived long (but that might be due to me of couse). Tropical House in Redcar (the one smoggs mentions) is fine, but they don't have big species (lots of small tanks). Keithlands in Boro are OK too, but don't pay too much attention to their advice. Teesside Koi near the post office depot in Stockton is good, and seem to know what they're talking about.

The ones I like are a bit futher afield - Paddock Farm at Dalton Gates, Aquatic Finatic just south of Northallerton and Chilton Aq in Chilton.

There is another shop in Redcar and one in Norton I've never been to, so I can't comment. I think that's all.........

Just a small thing, last week i went to neata in stockton and the one near middlesbrough train station (i think its keithlands) both were shut down, so you might want to save yourself a trip.

Ive bought quite a few fish from petmania and billingham aquatics without any problems, though ive found teesside park pets at home and peter barrets best for accessories and decor etc but with poor quality and diseased fish.

Thanks guys, we were in Newcastle today for a hospital appointment so decided to go to Betta Aquaria and :drool: it was amazing!!! I never expected it to be like that inside as it just looked like a little unit from the outside, I was very impressed with how clean and fresh the tanks looked and the fish all looked very happy and healthy from my newbie point of view, lol.

Also tried Gosforth Aquatics while we were in that direction and that ws closed, not sure if that is a permenant thing or if we arrived at the wrong day/time.

Also while we were out and about went to Paddock Farm and that was nice too, very very friendly and helpful. They let my little boy anf girl feed the Koi which was great fun and the water gardens were beautiful and so peaceful. We passed Peter Barratts (Stockton) on our way out and ws very pleased that we went there coz we saw the tank that we have been looking at online and it looks great 'in the flesh' too, also saw a couple of fish in there that I thought were beautiful and not seen in the other places I've been so far.

I think we mgiht have a trip to Chilton Aquatics tomorrow. I'm having so much fun looking round all these places and there is so much stuff that I like the look of for the tank when we eventually get it I really don't know how I'm going to decide what to buy :good:

I haven't been to neata's or keithlands in a while - didn't know they'd gone. I'm not surprised about neata as she was so small, but I'm surprised about keithlands (it is the one by the station) as I would have thought the other pets would have kept them going.

Sandra, a word of warning about Peter Barratts - don't buy fish from there unless you can quarantine them. I've had a couple of bad experiences, and won't get fish from there again, even though it's tempting as they get some fish I've never seen anywhere else. It's fine for things other than the actual fish though.

Window shopping is half the fun :D

Thanks for the tip essjay, I'll shop about for what I want fishwise but will keep checking there to see if they can give me any ideas :good:

Think I'm gunna order my tank tonight or tomorrow so am very excited :drool:

Most reactions

Back