Normal Fishkeepers

jahouli

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
When people do water changes generally do you just syphon out a number of buckets and then add the same amount in fresh water? I ask because I have a stupid bubble tip anemome that loves to stick itself to the glass in the top corner, so everytime I do a water change I have to prise it off the glass to keep it in the water. It doesn't seem to be suffering from it - I've been doing it once a week for a couple of months now...shame it can't learn.

Well, you add back water matching your current waters salinity (temp and pH as well). If your current water's salinity is too high due to evaporation then you'll want to add water with slightly lower salinity, in order to attempt to bring the overall salinity of the tanks water to your desired level.

As far as the nem, if it is climbing that high up the glass then chances are your lighting is not good enough. Or your flow is not sufficient. Try changing the direction of your powerhead or add stronger lighting to your tank. When you cause a nem to loose it's footing you not only risk tearing the actual foot (which is lethal 99% of the time) but you risk dropping it onto rocks which can injure it, as well as stress the hell out of the thing. Anemones do not handle stress well. Above anything, if it were me, and I could not get the anemone to move to a better spot on it's own, then I would let him be exposed to air for a few seconds rather than prying him off of the glass.

What is your lighting like right now?

I'm sure if "it" gets nervous with "no water", it'll release spontaneously and fall to the bottom..... Just do your routines and ignore his/her tantrums!

Oh thanks. I thought letting it come out of the water was well dodgy so tried to avoid it, but if that's less stress than forcing it off then I'll do that. Will try changing the direction of powerheads. As for lighting - I've got 150W metal halide so can't see it being a problem. I've had it since January and it's more than doubled in size since then, - so I must be doing at least something right.

I'm sure if "it" gets nervous with "no water", it'll release spontaneously and fall to the bottom..... Just do your routines and ignore his/her tantrums!

terrible advice IMO

as stated previously, if the nem is there, then it's probably happy with conditions in the tank, they shouldn't be exposed to air at the best of times.

Its sort of a double edged sword there because you're having to choose between exposing him to air for a few seconds or putting him through the stress of being moved.

Most reactions

Back