Nope, twice is too many times… not buying those type heaters again…

Magnum Man

Supporting Member
Tank of the Month 🏆
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
Really the aquarium trade is plagued by poor fasteners heaters with suction cups, that don’t stay stuck… I can place those in flow, hidden and held in place by hard scape… but I just had to replace my 2nd heater, that only comes with double stick tape to place the controller, only to have the double stick fail, and the controller fall into the aquarium, at least it didn’t electrocute all the fish, and or blow the fuse it these tapes were applied to the controller, and I’ve had them come off the surface I stuck it to, but worse, I’ve had the factory applied tape come off the controller as well… nearly every heater out there has a screw hole… won’t buy anymore, that rely on just the sticky tape… and while they are redesigning their controller covers, maybe they can redesign the heater attachment method

Heater suction cups and in fact all suction cups for aquariums have always been rubbish. I used them when I first started keeping fish but quickly stopped because they were crap and after a few months in water, the plastic suction cups didn't do anything. rubber suction cups are a bit better but they still fail after a while underwater.

Don't bother using them. Just let the bottom of the heater rest on the substrate and fold the cable over the side of the tank to stop the heater laying flat.

Well… another sticky tape failure… at least this time the controller didn’t fall into the tank… I think that’s the last one of those I have… I guess I can save it for a backup, since it didn’t fall in the water, but that one is going to get replaced as well, and I definitely won’t buy another, that relies on sticky tape to mount..

there is a generic problem that most plastics decay when submersed in water for a long period of time (this include suction cups and common tubing - silicon or otherwise). That's the nature of the game. I will admit there is some very high end plastics that will hold up better - esp thosed based on polyp; but if you can find them they are rather pricey.

Ya, I gave up on suction cups, a long time ago… its this double stick tape that a couple manufacturers are using as the primary mount, for the controllers that bother me… these last 2 have been mounted at least a year before failing, and the one that fell into the tank, was the last straw on those brands… this last one, was mounted, to where it’s just hanging there on the wall, and didn’t fall into the tank, but it’s still frustrating, because you can restick it, but it’ll just keep falling off every day now…

Been using these since they came out, they're phenomenal. Suction cups have never been an issue. I have a certified temp probe and these have all been within half a degree. They last forever even though I replace them right around the 18 month mark. I use the old ones for heating up my stored water. Only thing with these heaters is they have to be set at a 45⁰ angle or more and need water flow to work properly. Personally I won't use anything else because these have proven their worth

Been using these since they came out, they're phenomenal. Suction cups have never been an issue. I have a certified temp probe and these have all been within half a degree. They last forever even though I replace them right around the 18 month mark. I use the old ones for heating up my stored water. Only thing with these heaters is they have to be set at a 45⁰ angle or more and need water flow to work properly. Personally I won't use anything else because these have proven their worth
Can they be placed horizontal towards the bottom of the tank?

Been using these since they came out, they're phenomenal. Suction cups have never been an issue. I have a certified temp probe and these have all been within half a degree. They last forever even though I replace them right around the 18 month mark. I use the old ones for heating up my stored water. Only thing with these heaters is they have to be set at a 45⁰ angle or more and need water flow to work properly. Personally I won't use anything else because these have proven their wort

oops that is a heater; i've been using hygger exclusively:

Can they be placed horizontal towards the bottom of the tank?

Yes. I don't have them exactly horizontal but damn near. Also I only have moderate water flow in 2 of these pics coming from the top of the tanks. It's generates just enough flow to make these heaters effective

20240811_103408.jpg
20240811_103430.jpg
20240811_103445.jpg

Any issues for the fish that the titanium heater which can get pretty hot is not encased in protective plastic?
In all of my aquariums 'cept the 10; they are behind matten filters where fishes can't reach them. In the 10 it is against the glass and I've not noticed any issue (been setup for 4 years); however I did have an upside down cat that burned itself on a marine-land glass heater.

Mine is straight up/down. I get the LF (Low Flow warning) every so often, but confirmed with Fluval that they don't need to be at a specific angle. Its just placement in a flow area for the sensor which is at the top of the unit. They also stated that the heater will still function properly with the Low Flow warning, just as any other heater would in an area with limited flow. Even with mine, I don't know how I can get a LF warning since it is at the output of my filter and has a ton of flow at that particular spot.

I do love those heaters though.

Most reactions

Back