Nitrites

fUbAr

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Ok, 4 weeks into my fishless cycle and my ammonia is getting processed in around 14hours.

When i test for Nitrites, the solution goes purple straight away (high nitrites) but after shaking and waiting the 5 minutes it becomes a very light blue (low nitrites).

So my question... are my nitrites high or low?

my test kit is API Freshwater Master Test Kit... ive emailed API but had no reply.

Thanks.

I would say they are low if the time spand for how quickly your amonia is being broke down.

Ok, 4 weeks into my fishless cycle and my ammonia is getting processed in around 14hours.

When i test for Nitrites, the solution goes purple straight away (high nitrites) but after shaking and waiting the 5 minutes it becomes a very light blue (low nitrites).

So my question... are my nitrites high or low?

my test kit is API Freshwater Master Test Kit... ive emailed API but had no reply.

Thanks.

If your test kit shows high straight away and then goes light it is off the chart.
A zero reading will show light blue immediately and stay there. There is no mistaking a zero reading on the API test kit. I had the same problem myself when cycling my tank and mailed API and the response was the light colour I was experiencing was an off the chart reading. So now you just have to wait for them to come down and believe me this can happen over night.

If your test kit shows high straight away and then goes light it is off the chart.
A zero reading will show light blue immediately and stay there. There is no mistaking a zero reading on the API test kit. I had the same problem myself when cycling my tank and mailed API and the response was the light colour I was experiencing was an off the chart reading. So now you just have to wait for them to come down and believe me this can happen over night.

ah great thanks :)

i just had a thought and did a nitrate test... and there were very few nitrates which also suggests an off the scale reading of Nitrite as none of it has been processed yet.

Its been 4 weeks of cycling now... im getting bored!

ah great thanks :)

i just had a thought and did a nitrate test... and there were very few nitrates which also suggests an off the scale reading of Nitrite as none of it has been processed yet.

Its been 4 weeks of cycling now... im getting bored!

:lol: Don't lose heart but mine took 9.5 weeks!!!! But it was worth the wait to be able to put all my fish in at once.

dont worry m8 you will get there , my nitrites took 1 and half weeks to fall to zero after the ammonia had dropped., took 5 weeks all in..

Kev

Most reactions

Back