Nitrates gone up -just found out my tap water has high levels

Rosyannie

Reaction score
Good morning, can I please get sone advice?
Once my tank cycled 5 months ago I've never had a problem with Nitrate levels. Now on my test strips it's showing as 25, which is still within its 'safe' parameter but worrying. The Nitrite level is 0.
On a whim I tested my tap water and its virtually the same reading, so I think that's the culprit.
Given this, water changes won't do much so what can I do?
I know liquid test kits are supposed to be better but I've been using the Tetra 6 in 1 dips since I started so the readings should give a consistant picture of my tank?
I've read about using ionised water or RO(?) water, any suggestions please?

know liquid test kits are supposed to be better but I've been using the Tetra 6 in 1 dips since I started so the readings should give a consistant picture of my tank?
It is fine to use the strips, it is as reliable as any other test for nitrate, a lot of people assume they are inaccurate but they always match my liquid tests results IME. Additionally, nitrate readings are difficult. They often have big jumps (Salifert shows 10 then 25ppm) or are laborious to use (with API you need to shake the second reagent for 2 minutes to disperse it).
RO(?) water,
Yes, this is a good way to reduce nitrate. Reverse Osmosis water is pure water and can be mixed with tap water to reliably reduce nitrate. You can buy it from tropical fish shops or look up "pure water" and you will find it cheaper at petrol stations for example. Be cautious when introducing it as it will alter your pH/ GH and KH levels so will need to be done gradually - you will need to measure the parameters and keep them consistent and within range for your fish species by calculating the ratio of RO to tap.

You can put some tap water into a holding container ad add some live floating plants. the plants will use the nitrates and then you can use that water on the fish tank.

Some people just have lots of live plants in the tank and they help get rid of the nitrates.

Reverse osmosis is an option, as is distilled or rain water.

@AbbeysDad has a few links about nitrates in tap water and how he dealt with it. Hopefully he can pop on and provide the links.

It is fine to use the strips, it is as reliable as any other test for nitrate, a lot of people assume they are inaccurate but they always match my liquid tests results IME. Additionally, nitrate readings are difficult. They often have big jumps (Salifert shows 10 then 25ppm) or are laborious to use (with API you need to shake the second reagent for 2 minutes to disperse it).

Yes, this is a good way to reduce nitrate. Reverse Osmosis water is pure water and can be mixed with tap water to reliably reduce nitrate. You can buy it from tropical fish shops or look up "pure water" and you will find it cheaper at petrol stations for example. Be cautious when introducing it as it will alter your pH/ GH and KH levels so will need to be done gradually - you will need to measure the parameters and keep them consistent and within range for your fish species by calculating the ratio of RO to tap.
Thank you! I will give it a go, I was going to do 25% water change today , so 10 litres, but make 5 litres of that 'pure water' to see if it helps at all? Will try moss balls as well.

I've been experimenting with the following and it seems to reduce nitrate buildup and should also address nitrate in your tap water

Most reactions

Back