Nitrate Readings

Nitrates will not drop unless you doing water changes or you have lots of plants in your tanks.

The levels all depends on the fish you keeping to be honest, how ever guessing it's just standed tropical fish anything under 60ppm is ok. If your getting higher then you should do several water changes over the next 10 days. Then if it's still high test your tap water to see that it's like.

How ever some fish are sensitive to nitrates and will not be happy above 20-30ppm.

hi thanks helterskelter mine is comeing back as 0ppm but people keep telling me let thats not right

It can easily come back as zero Joe. All it takes is enough plants to use up all the nitrogen in the tank. Plants will take in ammonia and nitrates as plant food so if you have enough plants you don't have nitrates. If you don't have lots of plants, it is time to check your test method.

It can easily come back as zero Joe. All it takes is enough plants to use up all the nitrogen in the tank. Plants will take in ammonia and nitrates as plant food so if you have enough plants you don't have nitrates. If you don't have lots of plants, it is time to check your test method.

thanks oldman47 you would say my nitrate readings are fine then?? i have 8 live plants in my tank

Having 0 nitrates will starve your plants of nitrogen, aim for a level of around 20ppm. Low nitrates is also said to be a cause of blue green algae (Cyanobacteria). Buy some potassium nitrate KNO3 from aqua essentials, then mix 40g to 500ml of water and add 10ml per 100L of tank water would give you a value of 5ppm.

Most reactions

Back