Newbie With A Question.

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Sarah-saur

Reaction score
Hello! My name is Sarah and I'm new here
happy.png
I currently do not have any fish or a fish tank but I will be picking a fish tank up soon. I've had fish in the past, well kinda. I had 2 male bettas (a crowntail and a king) in a 15 gallon, and my dad had a tropical 25 gallon fish tank growing up that we all looked after.
I plan on getting a 10 gallon with tropical fish and another 5 gallon(in time) with 1 male better.
Now for my question, I plan on getting a ten gallon fish tank. I was always told a gallon per fish but I also heard 5 gallons per fish? Which one is correct or do different fish need different sizes? I always heard that bettas need 5 gallons.
Than you in advance.
smile.png

I recently learned that it depends on the fish.  So depending on what type of fish you want and how many you want, that will determine what size tank you need.  But bettas need at least 2.5 gallons and 5 gallons or larger is best I'd say.

Go with the biggest tank you can afford to buy and maintain. If you can afford it go at least with a 20 gallon, it will give you more options on fish to choose from.

The rule of thumb is 1 inch of adult size fish per gallon. The rule is not perfect since you obviously would not put a 10 inch long fish in a 10 gallon tank! You also have to consider how active the fish species is, Danios for example are extremely good swimmers, they need much longer tanks. If they are schooling fish then the minimum number is 6 fish, but more is better, they will feel more secure in larger numbers. 

A larger tank is also easier to keep stable. In smaller amounts of water, small problems can become big problems quite quickly. 

A 5 gallon tank for a Betta is fine, personally I would not keep a Betta in anything smaller than that, but a 2.5 gallon is still better than the small cups they're placed in at the stores. :)

I recommend having a look at some fish, find the ones that interest you and research the minimum tank requirements and tank-mate compatibility. If you can, try to find out what kind of water your city has, some fish like more acidic water (Bettas), some more alkaline (African Cichlids). Most fish will adapt just fine to the water of your area, but it's still a good idea to find out!

:hi: to the forum, Sarah.

The gallon per inch of adult fish rule isn't the best, it's okay for getting an idea on stocking but you can't rely your stocking on it, if you could, that would mean you could have a 10" goldfish in a 10G tank, which you cannot.
What the inch per gallon rule doesn't include, is the fact that larger and thicker bodied fish, need more room.
So, like I said, the gallon per inch of adult fish rule is okay as an indicator but should not be used for all stocking.

IMO, 5 gallons for a Betta is the minimum, so your tank will be fine :)

What do you plan on stocking in your 10G?

Before you go out and buy any fish, make sure you do a fishless cycle (link in my sig) and, before buying ANY fish, research, research and do more research :)

Thank you everyone :) So I bought a 10g and have it all set up! As for the fish I am interested in, I really want some guppies. I've always liked them. I'll probably add some other species but I don't know what yet.
I am definitely going to do my research :) Right now I'm looking at how to cycle a tank so I think I'll start that today.

If you need stocking advice, search aquarium stocking on google. There are many websites that help. I thought many fish could fit in a 10 gallon, but boy I was wrong! That website is very useful and has a good calculator for stocking. hope this helps.

Bunchbro84 said:
If you need stocking advice, search aquarium stocking on google. There are many websites that help. I thought many fish could fit in a 10 gallon, but boy I was wrong! That website is very useful and has a good calculator for stocking. hope this helps.

If you're talking about AQ Advisor, that is a very unreliable program. I recommend that the OP doesn't use that.

As for the Guppies, you could probably have 5-6, if you have just them.
The problem about having a small tank (such as a 10G) is that they're better suited to a species only tank, so, for your tank, I think it would be better if you have only Guppies. 

Oh well I use it and it seems to be helpful to me since I calculated and the quantity I put in my 10 gallon was fine. Let me know another calculator so I can be sure please

Bunchbro84 said:
Oh well I use it and it seems to be helpful to me since I calculated and the quantity I put in my 10 gallon was fine. Let me know another calculator so I can be sure please

The issue is that there are so many factors to try to program in, it is pretty much impossible to come up with anything reliable. Each individual's circumstances are more-or-less unique.

If you, or the OP, wants advice on stocking a fish tank, then the best advice comes from humans, not machines.

Thank you everyone for your wonderful incite. I'm still in the cycling process right now so it's going to be a while till I probably get fish.
If I added guppies would I be able to add a few shrimp?
What I'm thinking is if I can, putting maybe 4 or 5 guppies(but will this work because 6 is the schooling number right?) with live plants and some shrimp?
hen getting a separate tank with a beta and adding maybe 2 dwarf frogs(I read DF's are social and need mates, but also work well with betas.) If I wanted to do this set up does anyone know how many gallons I would need?

Meeresstille said:

I recommend having a look at some fish, find the ones that interest you and research the minimum tank requirements and tank-mate compatibility. If you can, try to find out what kind of water your city has, some fish like more acidic water (Bettas), some more alkaline (African Cichlids). Most fish will adapt just fine to the water of your area, but it's still a good idea to find out!

Sadly, I looked and looked and looked and couldn't find what kind of water my city has, I did, however find a local water supply company(they sell water in huge jugs and then you would put these just on a water cooler thingy, I hope that made sense) and I found out they have "ALKALINE REVERSE OSMOSIS WATER" Is that any good?

Sarah-saur said:

Sadly, I looked and looked and looked and couldn't find what kind of water my city has, I did, however find a local water supply company(they sell water in huge jugs and then you would put these just on a water cooler thingy, I hope that made sense) and I found out they have "ALKALINE REVERSE OSMOSIS WATER" Is that any good?
No, that would not be good, and it would get pretty expensive as well. You could phone your city, they would let you know, or you could ask your LFS, if they're in the same city as you and on the same water. There are two local aquarium fish clubs in my area, one is on FB, if you have something like that where you're at they surely could tell you as well. :)

Sarah-saur said:
Thank you everyone for your wonderful incite. I'm still in the cycling process right now so it's going to be a while till I probably get fish.
What I'm thinking is if I can, putting maybe 4 or 5 guppies(but will this work because 6 is the schooling number right?) with live plants and some shrimp?
hen getting a separate tank with a beta and adding maybe 2 dwarf frogs(I read DF's are social and need mates, but also work well with betas.) If I wanted to do this set up does anyone know how many gallons I would need?

That would work, shrimp would be fine with Guppies :)

Guppies aren't really a schooling fish, they just like to "have mates" which is why numbers less than 6 are okay :)

DF's and Bettas can work but I have heard of many complications, such as one stealing the others food or, sometimes, even the DF's ripping up the Bettas fins.
I would say a 10 or so gallon tank would be best to try it in if you do.

Blondielovesfish said:

That would work, shrimp would be fine with Guppies
smile.png

Guppies aren't really a schooling fish, they just like to "have mates" which is why numbers less than 6 are okay
smile.png

DF's and Bettas can work but I have heard of many complications, such as one stealing the others food or, sometimes, even the DF's ripping up the Bettas fins.
I would say a 10 or so gallon tank would be best to try it in if you do.

Thank you! :D I'm really excited now for all this to work. I can't wait until my fish tank is done cycling :) I'll also start looking for another 10 gallon.

Most reactions

Back