Newbie tank setup help!

EliseCaelen

Reaction score
Hey everyone, this is my first time using this site! I came here in hopes of some advice, as I've been having some troubles with tank setup and want to make sure it is the best for my future Betta fish.

My main trouble is with the water in my brand new tank (25L tank.) My issue is that the water is partially cloudy and often has bits of debris, and what looks to be dust particles and lots of tiny air bubbles that seem to be coming from the filter. Even after cleaning the tank out 3 times and changing the water this problem persists (I am using tap water conditioned with Fluval water conditioner.)

Can anyone please give me some tips and advice on the steps to take when setting up a brand new tank to ensure it is clean and with unclouded clean water ? The filter I'm using came with the tank it is a ciano 40 I believe. Thank you very much!

Cloudy water is very common in new tanks. it is caused by a type of bacteria that lives free floating in the water and multiplies very quickly so that water changes can't get rid of them. The good news is that once they've eaten all the available food, they die off leaving the water clear. Because every tank is different, it is impossible to say how long this will take.

Can I ask, what is inside the filter (the media)? Sponge, or a carbon containing cartridge, or something else? So many of these small filters contain media which could be better. Once we know what's in there, we can help you 'customise' it if necessary.

As the tank is new, I need to ask if you cycled it before getting the betta. Cycling means growing the bacteria that 'eat' the ammonia made by the fish. if you didn't, you are now doing a fish-in cycle. You need to test for ammonia and nitrite every day and do a water change every time you see either above zero. After a few weeks there will be enough of the ammonia eating and nitrite eating bacteria to keep them at zero, then you only need to weekly 50% water changes.
The first past of this link https://www.fishforums.net/threads/cycling-your-new-fresh-water-tank-read-this-first.421488/ explains what cycling is, though the method in the second half can't be used once there are fish in the tank.

Hi and welcome! Did you cycle your tank? Are you aware of the aquarium nitrogen cycle? If not, please read up on it first. If you are aware, what are your water parameters, ie, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates. Are fish in the tank yet?

Thankyou for the info on cloudy water! My filter just has a black sponge in it.

I haven't gotten the betta yet, so the info on cycling is very helpful, I'll be sure to read up on cycling before I go any further or even think about buying it.

The fish aren't in the tank yet, I will purchase once I've gained all the knowledge on how to set up my tank and cycling and such and have done these steps. Thankyou for letting me know about these things so I can research better!

Hello, and welcome to the forum! :hi:

Yes! That is good that you thought ahead. :)

(Please consider voting for the July POTM contest!) :)

I hadn't noticed that you don't have the betta yet!

I finally found the Ciano 40 filter - their website shows a filtration circle containing a black sponge, a green section and a blue section. But if all you have is sponge, that's good. If you do have any of the blue or green things, replace them with more sponge. Now is the time to do that before you think about cycling.

There is an alternative to cycling - live plants. But you need more than the odd one or two slow growing plants. With this method, you put the plants in the tank, wait till you are sure they are growing and not about to die, then get the betta. You would need to monitor ammonia and nitrite every day till you are sure they are staying at zero.
Floating plants are particularly good. They are on the surface so they are near the lights and can get carbon dioxide from the air. This allows them to take up a lot of ammonia as fertiliser, and plants do not turn it into nitrite.

Thanks for the info on my filter! I will be sure to replace those with the sponge.

Live plants sounds very good I had been considering this, I think this would be a good idea for me to do. I have just ordered some ammonia, nitrate and pH testing kits, so I will now go out and try the plants. Would Marimo moss balls also help at all, or are they more for decoration?

Thankyou for all the help so far to you and everyone, I really appreciate it

Moss balls are in fact a type of algae. They won't take up that much ammonia I'm afraid. But every little helps. And they look nice.

Water sprite is a good floating plant. It does get big but it also makes lots of baby plants to you can remove the big plant when it gets too big. If you are in the UK, not many shops sell it, I had to get mine from Ebay.

B3EBCF55-0216-4A98-838D-5519A92708CA.png
I wish We had known you were ordering test kits. Test strips are not very reliable. What you need is the API Freshwater Master Test Kit. Very easy to use.

I concur with @Deanause. I have an API master test kit, and it takes less than 10 min. (Only because you have to let the solution sit for 5 min. In order to achieve the most accurate results. ;)) to test for Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, and ph. Also, you can do over 800 tests, making it well worth your money. :)

Oh thanks for letting me know! I can cancel my order of the strips, this is also a lot better value too, a good investment!

Thankyou for all the advice everyone :) I'm looking forward to keeping my fish healthy and happy with all these great tips!

We look forward to seeing you around the forum. We’re just one big happy fishily.

Most reactions

Back