Newbie Questions...

Fate2006

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hey! I've yet to begin actually setting up a salt water aquarium, but I've got a few questions... I have a spare 2.5gallon tank in my room that I wanted to know if I could set up as a tank for something small like a clown fish or sea horse... even if not I'd still like to know what and how I can set up a tank... I've got salt-enough for the 2.5gallon tank-, but my dad is buying a 75gallon bowfront tank soon so I'd like to know more about saltwater fish before we set it up so everything doesn't die... any help would be greatly appriciated.

Hey! I've yet to begin actually setting up a salt water aquarium, but I've got a few questions... I have a spare 2.5gallon tank in my room that I wanted to know if I could set up as a tank for something small like a clown fish or sea horse... even if not I'd still like to know what and how I can set up a tank... I've got salt-enough for the 2.5gallon tank-, but my dad is buying a 75gallon bowfront tank soon so I'd like to know more about saltwater fish before we set it up so everything doesn't die... any help would be greatly appriciated.

You cant really do much with a 2.5 gallon, even more so if its goin to be saltwater. As far as the 75 gallon goes, what type of filtration are you going to have, and what kind of tank setup?

k... going to have a canister filter, not too sure about this... is a protein skimmer needed? um thinking of live corals... my dad wants em... any tips on the salt level, the temperature, lighting anything really would be helpful, I've had freshwater tanks for over 8 years and I'm just starting into saltwater...

:D
k... going to have a canister filter, not too sure about this... is a protein skimmer needed? um thinking of live corals... my dad wants em... any tips on the salt level, the temperature, lighting anything really would be helpful, I've had freshwater tanks for over 8 years and I'm just starting into saltwater...
Hi,I am also a newbie to the saltwater world,I am also doing lots of research and learning myself and all I can tell you is I have read 2 very good books that has everything in them from start to finish.1st book is The Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Robert M.Fenner and the other one is Aquarium Corals by Eric . Borneman.It has everything about corals that you need to know.One more thing you need to know is,you can get a lot of good advice from the people on this site,they have been very helpful for me.I highly recommend Dr Ski Fletch,he can answer 99.9% of all your questions!Sorry PROFESSOR BEAKER you are the best,I`ve seen at answering questions! :teacher:

Throwin me under the bus :p

Fate, have a start with reading the stickies atop this section, lots of good info there. Then some of the books KRZYSTOF mentioned are fantastic. To directly answer your question, in a 75g with corals... Yes to the skimmer. How good are you and your dad with DIY? Cause a sump would be a great thing to have on a tank that big too :)

I've read all the stickies at the top, and still need some more information... Firstly what is DIY? Secondly salt levels and things like that... are their certain levels they need to be at? Also, how many fish can I really have in a 75gallon salt water, as I understand it stocking is more limited than freshwater...

I've read all the stickies at the top, and still need some more information... Firstly what is DIY? Secondly salt levels and things like that... are their certain levels they need to be at? Also, how many fish can I really have in a 75gallon salt water, as I understand it stocking is more limited than freshwater...
First DIY is yor skills '' Do it yourself '' . Secondly,your salt lewels need to be kept at 1.023-1.026. The thumb rule for fish is that for a 1inch per 5 gallons. You aslo need test kits for PH AMMONIA NITRATES NITRITES CALCIUM PHOSPHATE ALKALINITY :rolleyes:

Also, how many fish can I really have in a 75gallon salt water, as I understand it stocking is more limited than freshwater...
The thumb rule for fish is that for a 1inch per 5 gallons.

That rule may work for freshwater but it DOES NOT APPLY FOR SALTWATER

There are too many variables with saltwater fish to have an "inch per gallon" quota. How many fish you can keep in a certain tank size all depends on what fish you want to keep. You need to research each individual fish's needs and any compatibility issues between any possible tankmates.

Agreed, way more variables than just size of fish in a marine tank. You could have as few as one and as many as 15 fish in a tank that size, really depends on what you choose species wise

Most reactions

Back