Newbie Help/reassurance

chris1974

Reaction score
i filled my 90liter tropical tank yesterday..i used the start-up kit "NTLABS START-OK" from romsey world of water ,Aquasure to get rid of chlorine and add aloe vera (10ml per 50liters) !? then measured dose of Nitrocycle (20 drops per 10 liters) !? ditto measure dose of filterbugs (2 drops per 10 liters)!?

i have to add filter bugs (2 drops per 10 liters)!? everyday untill the little bottle runs out (EVEN once fish added) and was told i could add a couple of platys after 7 days of this!

sound right to you guys?? :/

cheers all from a total newb

ive just tested the nitrite's and still showing 0ppm (guy in shop said it will go up then come back down? )

Never heard of that kit, but basically you need to learn about cycling and the two different methods of doing it- fishless cycling and cycling with fish.
These articles will explain about avoiding and treating new tank syndrome and how to do a fishless cycle properly;

Cycling tanks, avoiding and treating new tank syndrome (very important article);

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=10099

Two different methods on how to do a fishless cycle;

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=113861

There is a wealth of articles pinned at the top of this section which may also be of much help to you in starting up your tank and choosing you first fish :) .
You will need to buy a test kit for ammonia, nitrItes, nitrAtes and PH; Platys can make good hardy and attractive fish but due to being livebearers, you need to be careful on how many males or females you get (you should have 2-3females per male, either than or an all-female group of at least 3 or an all-male group of at least 5) as they are very highly sexed fish and a single female can produce over 20 fry a month (most will be eaten though by the adults if not saved).

jeeeeeez this is complicated :-(

Ah don't worry about it, it looks complex at first, but its really easy to learn once you have got the hang of it.
Basically the main things you need to know with the bacterial cycle is that

Ammonia>nitrites>nitrates

Fish pee and poop ammonia, which incidentally is poisonus to them and can kill them.
There is a bacteria that lives in your filter sponge though that can break down ammonia in to harmless substances, and as long as the bacteria has oxygen (from water being pumped through the sponge it lives on in the filter providing oxygen for it and food i.e. waste sucked up from the tank into the filter) and an ammonia source (i.e. fish poop or rotting matter in the tank), then your bacteria will thrive and get rid of the ammonia, turn it into nitrites (which are also harmful) but eventually into nitrates (which will be absorbed by any live healthy aquarium plants you have in the tank), which are generally harmless.

The process of getting your benneficial bacteria established in your filter sponge is called "cycling", and can take a while for it to finish, but when the tanks ecosystem/bacteria stabilises itself, you should have no ammonia or nitrites and nitrates should be preferably under 40 and your fish will be happy.

As i said though, for this bacteria to survive it needs a constant ammonia source in the tank. You can either fishless cycle the tank by adding pure ammonia to the tank and regually testing the water quality, and add the fish after its cycled, or you can cycle the tank with very small quantities of fish and rely on the ammonia they produce to cycle the tank.

The bennifits of fishless cycling? Because you don't cycle the tank with fish, you don't have to worry about them getting killed off or sick by the levels of ammonia or nitrites being produced in the tank, so you can add large quantities of ammonia (which would normally kill fish) because you don't have fish in the tank, and cycle the very quickly.
It also means that no fish get ill during the cycle, and you can stock many fish in there once it is cycled.

The bennifits of cycling with fish? No many, but it does mean you can stick a couple of fish in the tank straight away, but because you cannot let ammonia or nitrite levels rise much, you have to do lots of water changes and the cycle ends up taking much slower to complete.
You can only use very hardy types of fish as many fish are very sensitive to water quality issues like ammonia or nitrites.

So now days, most people opt for fishless cycling due to it being safer and faster, even if a little bit more complicated than cycling with fish sometimes.

Edit: oh, i forgot to add, if you know anyone with an established fish tank already, you can just stick your new fish tank filter in their tank for a week or two and then transfer it back to your tank- during this time your friends benneficial bacteria would have settled on your filter.
So you can basically cycle your tank very quickly- this method is called "cloning" and when you clone a tank, this is basically what you do, its an easy way to cycle the tank without going through a complicated fishless cycle or lengthy cycle with fish.
The only draw back is that as soon as you turn your filter off to put it back in your tank, you need to get some fish in your tank ASAP as the bacteria will start to die off as soon as the filter is turned off and there is no ammonia source.
You can even use pond filter media to clone your tank with :) .

do i understand this correctly,am i right in saying i dont nessaserily need an airpump and airstone because the flow of water through the filter will airiate the tank enough??

or should i really get a airpump/stone in there aswell?

also i didnt plan on getting "real" plants . or should i??

thanks for your help in advance

do i understand this correctly,am i right in saying i dont nessaserily need an airpump and airstone because the flow of water through the filter will airiate the tank enough??

or should i really get a airpump/stone in there aswell?

also i didnt plan on getting "real" plants . or should i??

thanks for your help in advance

Airstone's are not nesarsary if you have a filter in the tank (you will need a filter though), but airstone's can be benneficial none the less for the fish (you can never have to much oxygen in a tank) and can look very nice in the tank :) .
When people's tanks get too hot or get water quality problems, they often add an airstone to increase oxygen levels in the tank as the warmer water is, the less disolved oxygen it has, and having lots of oxygen in the tank can make life much easier to deal with for fish when they are suffering from issues like ammonia problems in the tank.

The bennefits of getting live plants in atank is that they take up nitrates, so you are much less likely to get high nitrates in the tank if you have healthy live plants in there- nitrates are not really harmful for fish as long as they are 40 or under.
Having too many nitrates in a tank though can cause other problems like increasing the likelihood of an algae bloom, algae is not harmful for fish but can look pretty bad and can take over the tank quite a lot if not dealt with.

When you bacterial ecosystem is fully established in the tank in your filter you should have no ammonia or nitrites and nitrates should be preferably under 40 (some people have no nitrates in their established tanks, but this is quite rare and is due to having a heavily planted tank as the plants take up nitrates).

When you put any water into your tank you must use dechlorinator/water condtioner to take out the chlorine and harmful metals/toxins from tap water as these are there to stop bacteria developing in your tap water- of couse though in your tank you want bacteria to thrive on your filter sponge so this is why you use dechlorinator/water conditioner.
When you need to clean out your filter sponge (as it will eventually get clogged up over time from waste the filters sucks in from the tank), you just wash it in old water from a water change as this way you are less likely to harm your bacteria- never wash the filter out in untreated tap water as the chlorine in tap water will kill off your benneficial bacteria.
Over-cleaning the filter sponge by washing away all the waste on the sponge (the food source of the bacteria) can also kill off your bacteria, so when you clean your sponge you should only roughly clean it enough so the filter runs smoothly :) .
You should only need to clean up filter once every 10 days to 2-3 weeks. Make sure you the filter you get is strong enough to efficiently filter the ammount of gallons/litres you have in your tank, as iflters come in varying ranges of strength and size- its better to get a filter that will filter far more many gallons than what your tank is.

Even though your bacteria will take care of such problems like ammonia or nitrites, its advised to do a once weekly water change (taking out between 30-60% of the old water and replacing it with new dechlorinated water) as this helps keep the water fresh and helps prevent things like serious build up nitrates or ph crash ("ph crash" mainly happens in old tanks many years old where minerals in the water build up over time from evaporation causing the ph to crash, as long as you do regular once weekly water changes you shouldn't encounter this though).
Keeping the water clean will also just generally make the tank looks nicer too. New tanks often have to have more regular wtaer changes as they are more likely to suffer from water quality problems due to not very established bacterial ecosystems.

As long as you remember that fish keeping is more about water keeping, you and your fish will do fine ;) .

should i have the lights on in the tank while fishless cycling? i have no plants yet!

should i have the lights on in the tank while fishless cycling? i have no plants yet!

There's no point in having the lights on really if there's no plants, the only use for lighting is either to help grow live plants or just look pretty :) .

There's no point in having the lights on really if there's no plants, the only use for lighting is either to help grow live plants or just look pretty :) .

ahh i see,i have decided to go for real plants now as opposed to plastic ones :)

any plants in particular suited for new tanks/fishkeeper?

any plants in particular suited for new tanks/fishkeeper?
Have a look at this pinned topic in the plants section. It lists lots of good plants and was where I went for info when I started looking into plants :) If you have any questions about plants then the guys in that section are great.... though they might try to persuade you to buy lots of kit! (extra light CO2 injection systems etc.) Ohh it's so tempting, but not necessary if like me, you can't afford it. :good:

Most reactions

Back