Newbie From Belfast N.i.

ImSm0kin1

Reaction score
Hello everyone :D ,

Just discovered this place and thought i'd introduce myself. I've been keeping african cichlids for about 3 years now, started off with a 2 footer in my living room which housed 3 1 inch yellow labs, as the fish grew so did the addiction, now i have 3 fairly large (95 gall, 125 gall, and a 150 gall) tanks and an angry girlfriend who made me put them all in the shed in the back garden :crazy: .

Northern Ireland, or 'Norn Iron' as we say :) , doesnt have too many shops to choose from when it comes to african cichlids, even the bigger shops mostly stock guppies, platies, mollies, barbs, tetras etc etc, if your really lucky they might even have a 'mixed african' tank, which roughly translated means ' MONGREL ', lol.
At the minute i am keeping yellow labs (Labidochromis caeruleus), Cobalt Zebra (Metriaclima Callainos), Golden Auratus (Melanochromis auratus), Haplochromis Sp44 or Red Tail, Rustys (Iodotropheus sprengerae), Neolamprologus leleupi sometimes called 'lemon cichlid', and various kenyi zebra crossbred types bought from 'mixed african' tanks at my local pet store :look: .

Apart from the leleupi i have bred and raised all of these fish without too much effort, giving the juvenile fish away, sometimes even keeping the most promising young 'uns and giving away the parents. The thing is everyone i know is at max stocking levels with all the fish i give em, so its pointless trying to raise anymore fry and i hate to watch them get eaten in the main tanks.

The 125 gall tank at the minute is sitting empty due to lack of choice, anyone here from 'Norn Iron' know of any good shops or local breeders for cichlids ?, anyone ever had fish delivered from mainland UK ?, any mainland sites ive found dont guarantee live arrival for N.I. and that sort of puts me off buying new fish from them :/ .

Anyway, hello to you all again and please post and help me with my addiction, im starting to cold turkey and only new fish will ease the pain :D .

Hi and welcome
Im from Norn Iron myself .Ive no real interest in cichlids but the lfs owner loves them although he dosent keep a lot as there isnt a big demand for them. I know he has yellow labs and convicts which he has bred himself.I will ask next time Im in if he knows any breederswith fish for sale
Cheers

hi im from norn iron too live in newtownabbey and need help finding a decent fash shop since pet world shut down,we dont seem to have much here pet shop wish anyone know of any sites ya can buy fish from?????

Hi Hughq
Welcome to the forums
Have you not tried grosvenor tropicals on the Beersbridge road?They are excellent.My lfs is in Magherafelt but its a bit far for you to travel I suppose.
RE buying fish online there is a thread about it in tropical chit chat at the minute.
Someplace called trimar in Cornwall seems to be the most well known one

Thanks for the replies everyone :) ,

I havent been able to get online recently, ISP problems :S , but anyway...

HughG, if you havent been to grosvenor tropicals, i would highly recommend them (so long as you dont want cichlids), spotless tanks, healthy fish and helpfull staff.

And nelly, i went to www.tropicalfishworld.co.uk and it links me to Rift Valley Cichlids, where theres no information about ordering online or delivering to N.I.

Im now going to look for the 'buying fish online' post to see if anyone from N.I. has bought fish and had them arrive alive, cos ive given up on local suppliers.

Once again thanks for the replies :D

hi, pet @ home in bangor has quite a lot of chiclids and online websites include

trimar.co.uk
tropicalfish4u.co.uk

Hi Hughq
Welcome to the forums
Have you not tried grosvenor tropicals on the Beersbridge road?They are excellent.My lfs is in Magherafelt but its a bit far for you to travel I suppose.
RE buying fish online there is a thread about it in tropical chit chat at the minute.
Someplace called trimar in Cornwall seems to be the most well known one

Hi folks,
A fair few from this neck of the woods. I was at grosvenor tropicals yesterday but they have now moved to Lisbrun (Riverside Centre). I googled their web-site and they had a map on it for directions. It's always been a safe bet for buying fish and they staff do know their stuff. Impressive new set-up they have to. Well worth the visit!

BR.

Hi everyone. I'm from just outside Portadown myself & there are a few LFS around here.

There are a couple in Portadown itself Seagoe Tropicals which does fish, birds & a small selection of reptiles & LA pets on the Mahon Road although their selection of fish is very small.

My two favourites though are....

Craigavon Koi & Aquatics, http://craigavonkoi.com/, It's on Deans road, Bleary which is between Lurgan & Gilford.

&

Island Tropicals on the Blackisland Road, Just of the M1 at junction 13 heading for Loughgall.

I'm interested to hear about the place in Lisburn & will defo be paying them a visit in the very near future.

:good:

I'm interested to hear about the place in Lisburn & will defo be paying them a visit in the very near future.
:good:

Hi Murpheus,
The used to be on the beersbridge road in Belfast in some converted terraced houses but moved to Lisburn.
Here's the link: http://www.grosvenor-tropicals.co.uk/Home_Pages/Home.shtml

They have a great selection of fresh water and marine fish as well as cold water and koi carp. They also have everything required to manage an excellent aquarium. Upstairs has a huge range of aquariums to suit all price ranges.

BR.

Most reactions

Back