New Tropical Tank

maccers

Reaction score
Hello everyone, my first post! Please be gentle....

Ok, I have a Juwel RIO 180 and am setting it up for the first time. I am planning to keep tropical fish. I have bought some fine gravel, and aquarium sand.

I am planning to use both, 70% of the tank gravel, and the rest sand, to create a beach like effect, how long it will last I dont know...

I am washing out the gravel, and have spent the best part of 2 hours and the water from the bucket I am using (new bucket) still runs cloudy. I am using good old London tap water.

I have even tried filerting the gravel in a pillow case, but the water still runs out cloudy. Any advice on this initial tank set up?

Cheers,
RM.

How will you seperate the gravel from the sand in the tank, as it will look a mess over time when it mixes in with the gravel, I use a cullinder to rinse gravel then when it runs clear I put in a bucket of boiling water to sterlise it.

How much are you washing in one go? if you only fill a quarter of the bucket or less it will take you longer to do the whole lot but it will take less time for each bucket to run clear. Make sure the sand is also running clear as it's surprising how dusty it can be.

Emma

Most reactions

Back