New To Tetras- Can You Put More Than One In A Tank

TheDood326

Reaction score
I thought tetras were fighting fish and couldnt be put in the same tank with eachother cus they would brutally attack each other
but recently i have seen forums with people talking of having more than 7 tetras in a tank i am very confused please help me

ps- can you put tetras into a normal tank with community fish? :good:

I thought tetras were fighting fish and couldnt be put in the same tank with eachother cus they would brutally attack each other
but recently i have seen forums with people talking of having more than 7 tetras in a tank i am very confused please help me

ps- can you put tetras into a normal tank with community fish? :good:

well ive got 2 rosy tetras and 2 beacon tetras in my tank (community) and they dont hastle anyone else, they play/chase each other sometimes but thats about it. granted mine are only young, so an expert will come along and say differently :shout:

sounds like a funny mistake, dont worry we all make them. yeah as nelly said they like to be in groups =)

The larger the school you provide, the happier the fish will be and the more naturally they will behave. There is really no limit at all. Some of the nicest displays are seen where somebody takes a large planted tank, chooses one tetra species and then puts 30+ individuals in there. If your tank is small have as many as will fit in it. If it's big, you can stop at five or six, but the fish will be more active and display to each other more if you keep a larger number. In the wild they may form schools in the hundreds; obviously this is difficult to replicate in captivity, but you should not keep tetras alone.

Most tetras are 'nippy' fish, this means they will nip each others fins and sometimes the other fish in the tank (but when they are in larger groups, they tend only to nip each other). They do not do any damage to each other when they get nippy, but most tetra species should not be kept with slow moving fish or any fish that have long flowing fins, like bettas (Siamese fighters).

Tetras are good community fish, but as always there are some fish you cannot combine them with. Tetras prefer their water soft and slightly acid, so their basic water requirements rule out keeping them with, for example, more sensitive livebearers (guppies/mollies), rainbowfish and most cichlids. They will also be eaten by anything big or aggressive because most are very small, reaching about 5cm/2in tops. They are sensitive to poor water quality and so should be one of the last fishes added after the tank has cycled and had a few months to mature running with low numbers of hardy fish.

Maybe you heard us discussing piranhas? Piranhas are in the tetra family but if you keep them together they shred each other. They shred anything in fact.

The larger the school you provide, the happier the fish will be and the more naturally they will behave. There is really no limit at all. Some of the nicest displays are seen where somebody takes a large planted tank, chooses one tetra species and then puts 30+ individuals in there. If your tank is small have as many as will fit in it. If it's big, you can stop at five or six, but the fish will be more active and display to each other more if you keep a larger number. In the wild they may form schools in the hundreds; obviously this is difficult to replicate in captivity, but you should not keep tetras alone.

Most tetras are 'nippy' fish, this means they will nip each others fins and sometimes the other fish in the tank (but when they are in larger groups, they tend only to nip each other). They do not do any damage to each other when they get nippy, but most tetra species should not be kept with slow moving fish or any fish that have long flowing fins, like bettas (Siamese fighters).

Tetras are good community fish, but as always there are some fish you cannot combine them with. Tetras prefer their water soft and slightly acid, so their basic water requirements rule out keeping them with, for example, more sensitive livebearers (guppies/mollies), rainbowfish and most cichlids. They will also be eaten by anything big or aggressive because most are very small, reaching about 5cm/2in tops. They are sensitive to poor water quality and so should be one of the last fishes added after the tank has cycled and had a few months to mature running with low numbers of hardy fish.

Maybe you heard us discussing piranhas? Piranhas are in the tetra family but if you keep them together they shred each other. They shred anything in fact.

OMFG HAHAHA I AM THINKIN BETTAS I FEEL STOOPID

hehe lmao,,,,dont worry mate easy mistake, ok yes male and male defo no no.....
male and female unless breeding defo no no...

heres where you probally saw more than one, a female sorority, usually consists of 7+ to equal out the aggrestion :good:

Unless they fight for mates. 8] (I think)

They're friendly. Black/Neon / smaller tetras that a long are usually not vicious.

From my experience, Black/Gold/White skirt tetras are crazy for food. They liek charge up to the water and go down to grab food.

:/ or is it just me.

From my experience, Black/Gold/White skirt tetras are crazy for food. They liek charge up to the water and go down to grab food.

confused.gif or is it just me.

Not just you, My black skirts will jump at my fingers sometimes.

On the subject of fighting tetras, one of my books has a "black darter tetra" (I'll have to find the book and find the species name) that it says isn't shoaling, and is actually a territorial cave dweller, complete with male brood care more akin to cichlid behavior than tetra.

Those would be aka headstanders/anastomidae/leporinus. They are aggressive as hell, enormous and antisocial. They're also hard to feed, like jumping out of tanks and obliterate decor. I don't bother with them.

No, not headstanders. They're small guys, book says 5 cm, the few sites I turned up on google say 4. Name is Poecilocharax weitzmani. Other common names are apparently Morpho tetra and Weitzman's predator tetra. Googling sites gives pretty wild variations in information - one site says they're a peaceful shoaler, another says they're a piranha or exodon-like predatory shoaler, and a few others give information closer to my books.

Most reactions

Back