New to real plants

fishy_sean94

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I've had my tank for a little over a year now, and have always just had plastic/silk plants but I'm now wanting to make a switch to real ones.

I've done some research as to what ones are considered best for beginners, however am still a bit unsure as to what to go for, and what would look the best for my tank.

I have a Fluval Flex tank (15 gal) and would like to go for a look which eventually looks quite "full", I really like the tanks that look a bit wild with plenty of places for the fish to swim inside and around.

I realise it will take many months for it to look like that, but I'm hoping someone could advise me on which plants to go for to achieve a look like this without being too difficult.

From what I've researched I see that Java ferns and Amazon Swords are very popular and considered easy, are there any others that people recommend I could start with? And what's the best plant to create a 'grassy floor' toward the front end of the tank?

EDIT
Another thing I forgot to ask about was my substrate. I currently have a natural coloured gravel, from what I've read this would be okay for future plants.
However I'm considering a change of this too as I would prefer black coloured gravel, I'm just not sure if it would be an easy thing to change and would doing so likely cause any problems for my tank's cycle or fish?

Last edited:
Welcome to the wonderful world of aquatic plants! You have a choice between stems, rooted, bulb or floaters.
From what you are describing it seems like stems. Depending on the stem, it can be easy or difficult. Most sellers will state whether the plant needs high/mid/low light and/or CO2. Stems also need regular pruning to keep them looking nice.

Rooted/bulbs are plants like swords, crypts, aponogetons, Anubius, ferns and others. Swords can be difficult as they feed heavily from the roots so you will need to supplement every 3-6 months with rood fertilizers. Crypts are easier as they feed from the water column-however many experience crypt-melt when they get the new plants and introduce them to your tank. Anubias should be attached to rock/wood/decor or only buried up to rhizome, otherwise the rhizome will rot and the plant will die. Aponos and ferns also feed from the water column. If you have a happy tank you can probably get the aponos to flower for you to, I have had many flower for me. Also tiger lily or dwarf lilies are easy to grow and once established need little maintenance and make beautiful displays.

RE: switching out the gravel. It should not be an issue re your cycle as most BB are in your filter media. Gravel is OK for plants, but when you have a planted tank it makes gravel cleaning a bit more difficult as you don't want to disturb the plant rots too much getting the mulm out of the gravel. What I would reccomend if you want black is Eco Complete black.

I have used Eco Complete (black and red) for decades and can say that it does help plants (including swords) because it will store nutrients through cation exchange for plant roots to use. It is multi-shaped (round and flat) so it allows roots to grow while helping keep uneaten food and waste on the surface.
Another good substrate is a coarse sand like Red-Flint medium grade sand. I have never used it but if you have your heart set on black and don't want to use Eco, blasting "sand" may work as well. It should be rinsed as it may have an oily film on it.

Once you decide on the gravel I would remove all of the fish/inverts, heater and decor in some buckets filled with tank water (for the fish/inverts). Then I would scoop out the gravel and do a 100% water change and add the new substrate, heater, decor, plants and fish. Make sure the filter stays full of water during the process so you don't loose the BB. Just watch the tank for the next couple days in case you go through a mini cycle.

Good luck!

Oops, I forgot about floaters, lol! Examples are typical frogbit, water lettuce, salvinia, red rooted floater, (dwarf) water lettuce, giant duckweed or (the dreaded and never to be rid of) duckweed (don't do it, you will never be rid of it). Even a couple stem plants can be also labeled as floater and that would elodea, guppy grass, camboba and hornwort can be left floating on the top instead of planted.

Last edited:
I've never used black gravel so I'm unable to give any experience with it. However Amazon swords are definitely very easy to have and grow well in the right conditions. Be sure to buy root tab fertilizer for swords as they are heavy root feeders. They should be given a tab under the gravel every 3-4 weeks. I recommend the brand seachem flourish root tabs and for liquid fertilizer I reccomend seachem comprehensive liquid fertilizer. Another plant that is fairly easy and looks great (imo) are crypts. I prefer the bronze variety but they also come in green. They grow slower than swords but offer more textures. Kleiner bar is another type of sword which grows well but slower than Amazon swords but just as tall. Amazon swords are wider and taller in their best state than Kleiner bars. For floating plants I really like Anacharis and hornwort, both can float or be weighed down and allowed to grow toward the surface. Both of those are stem feeders so they will do best with the liquid ferts

Thank you both for the detailed information!

I had a further look around at substrate and came across Fluval Stratum substrate on Amazon. which I think is similar stuff to the one linked to above?
Im thinking to lessen the chances of messing with my cycle, it would be less risky if I replaced half of my old gravel with the new stuff and then do the other half may be one or two weeks later?

Another thing I wondered about (though not really plant related) was if I changed to this other substrate would I be able to have some shrimps or another type of algae/ground feeder in the tank? The only fish I currently have are six danios.

Eco complete will never ever break down. Fluval Stratum will be viable for 1.5 to 2 years and is not inert. Eco is inert-will not affect water parameters.

It is better to change the substrate at once then stressing the fish and clouding the water trying to to it half and half. Doing it the way I suggested should not mess the cycle, but it is good to pay attention to water parameters just in case. I don't want to say it definitely won't as everyone's tank/conditions are unique.

Danios will predate on shrimp like neocaridina; which won't appreciate the low pH from the Fluval stratum, they like it closer to neutral. Crystals will be a very expensive shrimp to use as a buffet.

After looking around I can only seem to find the Eco Complete at very high prices here in the UK :(

Looking in to both of those I am being put off due to the prices as well as (at least with the Fluval stuff) having to replace it every so often, so I might just stick with ordinary gravel and just switch to a black variety.

Am I right in thinking most 'beginner' plants would be fine with normal gravel? Would I need to purchase some root tabs and place those in the gravel with the plants to give them a better chance?

Sorry for all of the questions, am just trying to make sure I end up getting it right and not killing anything off in the process :)

That's unfortunate. Plants will do well in gravel, for the plants that need them-root tabs would be fine. If you are going with plants that mainly take nutrients from the water column, you will need to provide the nutrients that way. Depending on the stock of your tank, the fish waste (one the tank is set up) can be enough for the water feeding plants, so the initial fertilizer/tabs are to get the plants established. What type of lighting do you have on the tank? That can also influence plant growth.

That's unfortunate. Plants will do well in gravel, for the plants that need them-root tabs would be fine. If you are going with plants that mainly take nutrients from the water column, you will need to provide the nutrients that way. Depending on the stock of your tank, the fish waste (one the tank is set up) can be enough for the water feeding plants, so the initial fertilizer/tabs are to get the plants established. What type of lighting do you have on the tank? That can also influence plant growth.

I just have the stock LED light that comes with the Fluval Flex 15gal tank which looking at reviews most say works well for plants.

The stock of my tank is just six danio's (three zebra and three leopard types).

I've read that liquid fertiliser (apparently API Leaf Zone is a good one?) helps a lot, which looking at it I'd just drop in to the tank once a week?

If I'm understanding correctly a plant like an Amazon Sword would be best off with a root tab as they can grow very large?
Another plant I've looked at, the Java Fern, you don't plant in the gravel/substrate at all, is this right? Apparently you can just tie it to something like a rock or some wood? If that's the case I assume these wouldn't need a root tab?

I don't have any experience with the API leaf zone. I use Thrive. Java ferns are water column feeders and yes they are usually attached to driftwood or rocks. They are usually low maintenance plants as they are relatively slow growing.

Okay so today was the day I (very nervously) swapped out my old natural coloured gravel for a black coloured one.
I left the fish in, scooped it all out, vacuumed the floor of the tank as best I could and then added in the washed new stuff.
Everything ended up going well and I think the fish all seem okay. They didn't even seem stressed while I was moving all the gravel in and out of the tank.

Here's a picture of the tank as it is now:
IMG_0233.jpeg
It's all pretty boring looking currently but I thought for the time being I'd add some of my fake plants back in to at least give the fish some hide places.

I'm planning on ordering these plants for now for the background/middle ground of the tank:
Echinodorus Amazonicus Amazon Sword
Anubias Nana (tied to rock)
Hygrofila Difformis Water Wisteria

And then I'd like some 'carpet' plants to go at the front but I can't decide which type would be best.

I shall also purchase a bottle of plant fertiliser and some root tabs for the Amazon Sword.

Most reactions

Back