New To Forum! :)

joe17

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
hi guys!

So I am new to the worl of aquariums and so far I absolutely love it! I have a 10 gallon tank with 2 male fancy guppies, 1 female redwag platy, 1 female gold twinbar platy and 1 red minor serpae tetra (unsure of sex). I havr cycled my tank and my fish seem to be doing good so far.

Any advice on how to improve my setup is more than welcome!!

Thanks in advance!! :)

yes any kind of schooling fish should be kept in groups of 3+ minimum, best is to have them in groups of 6+

If you add more tetras to get a proper shoal, that'll be your tank full.

how many tetras should I add? I read that they can be nippy towards the guppies' tails. Would it be best to replace it with another kind of fish? If so, which kind would be suitable for my tank?

I was thinking of adding 2 more serpae tetras and maybe 1 ghost shrimp to help keep the tank clean. Would that work?

welcomeani.gif
 your tank is probaly to small to have a proper shoal of tetras 6 so i suppose two more would be fine but consider upgrading to a 20 gallon so your fish can be happy.

Welcome to the forum,
The tetras will be happiest in a school of at least 6 so, if you could add 5 more that'll be great. :) your tank isn't really big enough for the tetras but it'll have to do (just wait, you'll be wanting to upgrade soon...when MTS gets you :p ) if/when you upgrade your tank, it'll be better for the tetras to go in a larger tank.
However, if you don't want to get them a bigger school, you could rehome this one and have another type of fish in there.

I got the tetra yesterday but have noticed that he is not eating at all. He simply takes in the uneaten flake food that falls into the tank and spits it back out. Is this caused by the fact that he is alone in the tank? Other than that he seems to be doing fine, and getting along with the platies. I am feeding them Nutrafin Staple flake food, and alternate with freeze dried bloodworms two to three time a week and blanched peas about once a week. Is there anything else I can do to help the tetra? Upsizing is not an option for now as I live in a small apartment and simply don't have the room. If I could I would lol.

Unless you really like the fish, I recommend that you take it back to your LFS and get another type of fish (one that is suitable for your tank size).

I will be bringing him back soon. I hate seeing him unhappy in my small tank. I am thinking of replacing him with a couple endlers and perhaps 3-4 shrimp to help keep the tank clean between water changes

I went to the fish store and have replaced the tetra with another platy. I am thinking of getting a sparkling gourami (if I can find some in my area) with shrimps and this will be my final setup. Thanks for all the super helpful advice!! I love this forum, great info available!!

Most reactions

Back