New To Forum

ssmith24

Reaction score
Just joined today and already have learned a lot from reading various Q&As. I removed my plecos (2) from my pond as it was getting too cold for them to survive and set them up in a 55g tank. After reading all the dos and don'ts, it seems like I've already made a ton of mistakes, but since time was of the essence, I really had no choice but to get them in a warmer environment if I wanted them to survive. My first goal was met - both are eating and appear healthy. Anyway, here's the problem, the plecos lived a rather harmonious existence in the pond, but the larger of the two now seems to be less enthusiastic with his/her tank mate. The larger one is perhaps 8" nose to tip of fin and the smaller maybe 5". Since they are a bit messy, I'm getting elevated ammonia levels, all other readings are normal. Questions? Too many to list -so I'll limited to just a couple. Getting the ammonia level down, water change? Second, best way to clean the gravel of waste?

Thanks for any help or suggestions

Welcome..this is a great place. Quick couple of questions...the tank you had to get them into, I assume it was an uncycled tank and an emergent transfer? If so, water changes is the best way to do it. I have never had to use ammonia binders like Amquel but that might be another option.

I have a 46G FW bow....gravel vac'ing for me is still the best way to clean it up IMO. Good luck with those big guys. SH

It was a quick transfer. I removed the plecos from the pond and transfer them into a 10g pail using pond water for about a week. I moved them into the tank (no pond water) after having the tank set up for a 4 or 5 days. In the pond, I would see them together in a strawberry pot that I had submerged. They don't seem to be as friendly now. Can a clay pot be placed into the tank? Any toxins I should know about?

I'll do 10% water change tonight!!! :-(

It was a quick transfer. I removed the plecos from the pond and transfer them into a 10g pail using pond water for about a week. I moved them into the tank (no pond water) after having the tank set up for a 4 or 5 days. In the pond, I would see them together in a strawberry pot that I had submerged. They don't seem to be as friendly now. Can a clay pot be placed into the tank? Any toxins I should know about?

I'll do 10% water change tonight!!! :-(
Hi and :hi: to the forums.

Rather than clay use terracotta pots (unglazed). totally safe for aquarium use.

I would go with slightly higher water changes daily for now. Plecs produce huge amounts of waste so I would go with 20% on each change. Shouldn't take much mor time than the 10% change anyways.

steve

Did a 10% water change last night - ammonia level still elevated (2). I'm planning on another water change at tonight. I'll test the water before and after to see the effects the water change has on the readings.

Can anyone recommend on good book for beginners? I feel very comfortable in the "pond world" but not so much with the aquarium. For example, I know ammonia in the water is toxic, but I don't know when I'm at a critical level. :(

Hello and welcome to the forum. :hi:

Water changes are the best way to lower the ammonia (and eventually nitrite) levels. I would do 25% W/C daily to keep the levels under .5 if at all possible. Also, cut down on how much or how often you feed them until the tank finishes cycling. Less food means less waste thus less ammonia. You can easily cut to feeding every other day or every 3rd day without any ill effects on the fish. As for vacuuming the gravel, any of the gravel vacuums that you find at the LFS or online will work fine.

As for a critical level for ammonia, it somewhat depends on your pH. As pH gets higher, ammonia becomes more toxic. Obviously, you want both ammonia and nitrite at 0 all the time but in a cycling tank they will be present. Try to keep them under .5 if at all possible.

Most reactions

Back