new to all this, any help much appriciated

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Trixabelle

Reaction score
Just found this site while browsing and it looks really usefull! ive just aquired a juwel aquarium and am now hoping to start cycling the tank but have no idea how to go about this. I have filled my aquarium half with RO water and half with conditioned tap water as i was told in my LFS, now i would like to cycle with fish and im hoping on keeping a community tank. When should i start adding fish and what kinds? Thankyou.

Hi and welcome to the forum,

You should find all the answers to your questions in the FAQ topics and guides which is above this post.

Hope this helps

Emma

Trixabelle said:
Just found this site while browsing and it looks really usefull! ive just aquired a juwel aquarium and am now hoping to start cycling the tank but have no idea how to go about this. I have filled my aquarium half with RO water and half with conditioned tap water as i was told in my LFS, now i would like to cycle with fish and im hoping on keeping a community tank. When should i start adding fish and what kinds? Thankyou.
[snapback]871386[/snapback]​

Ok, I am a newb too so this isn't going to be good, I think the longer the tank sits and cycles the better, you want to get it to the proper temp before you put the fish in and make sure the temp is consistant for a day or two. For your fish you first have to decide what sort of kinds you want. And they should all be 'rated' to live in your tanks temperature area. Most fish stores will have all the holding tanks labeled saying weather the are communty fish or not. Make sure your fish all are community. Then basically buy. I dont know much about what fish every aquarium should have so someone else can post that and correct me...

Zac

Woops srry Emma replyed before me... So now I know about the FAQ's...LOL

First of all you should find out the exact gallonage, because that allows you to determine how many fish you can safely fit in the tank. Secondly decide if you want a heater, which you SHOULD have for all tropical fish (pretty much everything accept gold fish and bettas are considered tropical (and yes I know bettas are tropical, but they do fine in cooler water.)) Cycling the tank with fish is easy, the most common fish used for cycling tend to be comets and zebra/leapord danios because they are small and "hardy" so start with a few let them sit and do their work, make sure you do water changes every week (30%) and wait till the inital ammonia spike is over then add some more, usually its better to work at that until theres quite a few fish in there, they I would say when you think its ready, take those fish out (most stores are happy to get them back) Then you should be safe to add the actual fish you want, you should still not add too many, because you may add more then your water can handle, so if you are unsure, you can go to a trustable aquarium store (usually one that deals with just fish and nothing else) and follow their advice.

Most reactions

Back