New Tetratec Ex 1200 Noisy

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Callum

Fishaholic
Reaction score
i have got a new tetratec ex 1200 running on my 180l it is fairly noisy though not like bubbles hitting the propeller or water splashing or the sound of air it is a humming sound. it has been running 12 hours now and still a bit noisy. Will it go away i know when i set up my fluval 205 on my old tank the manual said to expect noise for the first few days then it goes, will this happen on my ex 1200? It is quite a loud humm as well i have done the trick leaning it to get the air out the filter but this made no difference. Also in my filter i have the bottom tray empty and part of the top tray as im transfering media over from my old tank. Is it noisy due to the lack of media in there :S ? or is it just its a big ass filter so its gonna be damm noisy?or is there something else?

a humming sound, hmm
is it touching the cabinet or anything else. sounds like it is vibrating against something to me.
mine is quieter than a grave and has been since I plugged it in.

Has the filter got ruber feet, could be sympathetic vibrations through the base of the filter.

I have set mine up 24hrs ago and I have to say it is very quiet no humming, It could be that the correct weight with the filters missing is causing this.

Have you tried it running with all the correct filter media?

The carbon that comes in two pouches for tray two do they stay in the pouch or do you remove them its like small particles of charcoal

Did you have two o rings left over I have two in a small plastic bag but do not know where they go

How have you fitted the spray bar for best performance?

Thanks.

the only thing im missing is the carbon from the filter instead i have ceramic rings from my old fluval also the reason i removed the carbon is it was basically dust i washed it repeatedly for 30 minutes but it still turned water black so i gave up on it.

The spray bar is about an inch below the water level. The two O rings go you know where the hose meets the bracket which holds the intake and outlets. Also i would like to comment that the instructions were rubbish. Also im feeling it may be trapped air somehow. Its just ive spent a lot of time leaning the filter at about a 45 degree angle and only tiny bits of air come out then it goes quiet (but not silent) and then it goes back to noisy. i didnt think it was air also because when air was trapped in my fluval you just head bubbles hitting the proppelers where as this is much more of a loud humming noise

the only thing im missing is the carbon from the filter instead i have ceramic rings from my old fluval also the reason i removed the carbon is it was basically dust i washed it repeatedly for 30 minutes but it still turned water black so i gave up on it.

The two O rings go you know where the hose meets the bracket which holds the intake and outlets.

Fug...just set my EX700 up last week and didn't know what to do with the 'O' rings - they're still in the box I think. I'll be grateful if you can advise in a bit more detail where these rings go - is it on the top of the removable connector that's got the lever and two bits for the plastic pipes to attach to?

Many thanks for your input - and yes, the instructions are poor!

David

Watch out for the green valves i just had one snap off water pouring out over the floor(Gutted).

The green outlet valve snapped any one know contact for Tetra and do you think they will have replacement valves.

Are you sure that is where the o rings go Flame?

mine leaks from one side on the main unit - not much but it leaks nonetheless!!!!!!! :grr:

mine only leeks when i shake it to try and get the air out and this thing is damm heavy when you have to shake it :/ what is the tray there for?

Was just turning the valve off to put coral sand in one of the trays and it came off in my hand. Phoned tetratec and they were very helpful. They said they would post out new parts in 24hrs.

Surprise surprise still not hear They promised they will be delivered first thing tomorrow.

I won't hold my breath.

Most reactions

Back