New Tank

small-fry

Reaction score
just got my self a new 450L Aqua one tank . .got the sand in, filter , heaters , air pump a friend told me to set it up and leave it for a few weeks before adding fish,

But i got exited and havent even picked any plants or stones or decorations yet , does any one have any ideas , i have been reading a few posts and choosing live plants for my first tank sounds a little bit too much to start off with , so any suggestions would be much appreciated thanks .. kev

just got my self a new 450L Aqua one tank . .got the sand in, filter , heaters , air pump a friend told me to set it up and leave it for a few weeks before adding fish,

But i got exited and havent even picked any plants or stones or decorations yet , does any one have any ideas , i have been reading a few posts and choosing live plants for my first tank sounds a little bit too much to start off with , so any suggestions would be much appreciated thanks .. kev

It takes alot more than "leaving it run for a few weeks" to get your tank ready for fish. Click the beginners link in my signature for all you need to know.

Terry.

small-fry said:

First and foremost you need to look in here Beginner resource centre, this will give you everything you need to know about setting up your first tank. If you do it right at the beginning, it will save you, and your fish, a lot of problems. Pay special attention to cycling in the link, if you follow these rules everything will work out well for you.
On a personal note, live plants are not difficult if you go for the less demanding varieties, and they will make a huge difference to how your tank looks, and benefit your inhabitants as well.

+1, please fish-less cycle the filter with household ammonia: it will save you a lot of work and headache! If your friend has a freshwater aquarium, seed your filter with some of their media to speed up the cycle :good: or browse the media donor list on here!

Welcome to the forum small-fry. I am going to move this to the new tank section where you will get more answers suitable for a new hobbyist that needs to cycle their tank.
If you want to get started, follow the links in my signature area that lead you to fish-in and fishless cycling. It will help you decide which way you want to go.

Most reactions

Back