New Tank

swampey

Reaction score
Guys & Gals

Ive been given a tank, filter, plants and Gravel

- A freind decided to down grade and get rid of a new tanks and one has come my way.

First and foremost I have done some reading about keeping tropical fish and understand some of the basics.

The tank is 36 X 12 X 15 alright for a beginner, the only issue is that the tank and the lid need a good clean.... seem to have alot of water marks on the black lid - ie just like what u get in a kettle.

what can I use ???? to restore back to a newish finish.....

Now all my friend advised me to do is clean the tank.... place treated water in and off I go... no need to wash the filter media as this will help with getting some bactria in the system so to say is this a good Idea or not

I got to get a new heater, am considering betting a few filter and having this one given as a backup

Just do not use any chemicals to get rid of the calcium on the glass.... Good old elbow grease & a fine pot scourer should do the job.... Good idea to use some of the seasoned filter media, and wash the gravel.... Set up the unit, and in about one weeks time.... you'll be ready to add your first fish. Keep your water temp at around 26/7 deg C.

you can use salt to scrub off...it will act as an abrasive to help with the elbow grease :) . then just rinse it out really well.
have fun with your new tank. any thoughts as to future inhabitants yet?
good luck!

edit:
welcome to the forum. :hyper:

The hard water deposits on the lid can also be scrubbed off with a pot scrubber. Do not use soaps, detergents or chemical cleaners to do the cleaning. If the scale turns out to be impossible with simple abrasives, you can use a little vinegar to help dissolve the calcium deposits but it will need to be well rinsed out after.
I would try to keep the old filter media moist since it may well contain some of the beneficial bacteria that we try so hard to grow in our filters. A starter sample is much better than none when it comes to getting a filter going.

Most reactions

Back