New Tank

riksworld

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
first off, I would like to thank everyone for the guidence since i joined this family, miss wiggle :good: , even i dont post, im usually reading the posts

ive just purchased another tank and im thinking about the use of a sump, I know sumps are generally used on marine to house all the equipment, such as heaters, skimmers etc

are there any drawbacks in adding one to a tropical setup?

im thinking seeing as my new tank bottom holes drilled for the filter, remove this and install a sump system with the media, heater etc inside

good or bad idea, pros and cons?

any comments would be welcomed

Never used a sump before, however from what I have heard, you'd have to run the pipes up to the uppermost part of the tank if it is bottom drilled incase you have a powercut (otherwise the water would just drain out into the sump, then the sump would overflow and you'd be left with a reptile tank and a very wet floor).

Couldn't see any problem with using a sump in a tropical tank though.

i wounder if its possible to add a safty cut out, so if the pump stops, the water stops?, just a thought

Should be possible.

Without knowing exactly which equipment you are using, I couldn't give any definite circuit diagrams and such like.

Should be possible.

Without knowing exactly which equipment you are using, I couldn't give any definite circuit diagrams and such like.

Suppose you rig up an electromagnet holding up a stopper. Power goes off, magnet stops working, stopper locks and stops water flow. Would be pretty hard to make sure it goes water tight though.

Ive been thinking of about using a ball valve, simular to a toilet on the inlet, so if theres a power cut, it will carry on filling for a short while until the water pushes up the ball valve so that should lock of the water inlet

that sounds veasable?

Ive been thinking of about using a ball valve, simular to a toilet on the inlet, so if theres a power cut, it will carry on filling for a short while until the water pushes up the ball valve so that should lock of the water inlet

that sounds veasable?

Not only feasable, but a lot easier and more sensible than mine!

Most reactions

Back