New Tank

xander_chookeypud

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey, basically i have just boight a Juwel Rio 240 to upgrade my Juwel Record 96 as i fear it being over-stocked. From what i understand, if i simply moved my filter sponges from my 96 over to my new 240 (keeping them wet), then would i be able to put my fish in without having to cycle this new tank? I like to think this is the case as it would save a lot of time. However, I am also thinking that it may not be this easy and i would have to cycle my new tank. Thus leaving my fish in my 96, which would make it difficult to replace with my new tank position-wise in my room. And obviously if this is the case then while my new tank is cycling, it will have to go somewhere else and would be immovable once it has been properly cycled full of water. Any help/suggestions? I hope ive made my intentions clear enough for people to suggest!

Xander

The sponge wouldn't contain enough bacteria by itself, but if you transfer some of the substrate from you cycled tank, you can easily skip cycling.

Thats great news as i was planning on using all of the substrate from my current tank as well as a fair bit extra. This could make things a whole lot easier :D Thanks

The sponge wouldn't contain enough bacteria by itself, but if you transfer some of the substrate from you cycled tank, you can easily skip cycling.
Completely wrong. The filter sponge contains the vast majority of the bacterial colony in the tank. Why do you think we have filters?

To answer your question, xander... yes, transferring all of the filter sponges to the new tank (while wet, within a couple of hours) with the fish will be fine. The sponges are already cycled to support your current stock of fish and moving them both to a bigger tank won't change that.

I would wait a couple of weeks for things to stabilize before adding anything else though and then add slowly to avoid a mini-cycle.

Hope that helps! :thumbs:

Only external filters contain enough media, internal filters have too much current to contain enough bacterial colony. Internal filters are practically just mechanical filters, there really isn't any biological filtration going on inside them. The majority of bacteria lives on the surfaces- especially in gravel.

Well lets' take a simple example; If the whole substrate of a fully cycled and stocked tank would be removed or replaced, the aquarium would start to cycle again, even if there was a internal filter running.
The substrate contains the majority of the bacteria, so removing it would affect on the biological balance of the tank.

Xander; If you are confused, do both! Neither won't do harm for the new tank :)

Well lets' take a simple example; If the whole substrate of a fully cycled and stocked tank would be removed or replaced, the aquarium would start to cycle again, even if there was a internal filter running.
The substrate contains the majority of the bacteria, so removing it would affect on the biological balance of the tank.
No, it wouldn't. There are a lot of people out there who have tanks with no substrate. The best examples of this are discus and quarantine tanks. The only tanks in which the substrate contains the majority of the bacteria are those with undergravel filters, an obsolete technology used by almost no one these days.

Or to take another tack: Unplug your filter. See how long your tank lasts.

BTW.... xander, sorry for hijacking your thread. I just get so tired of all the misinformation out there.

Well there is also tanks that don't have filters. With enough water changes these tanks are as healthy as the ones with filters. But since this discussion isn't going anywhere, I'm going to bow out politely.

Thanks for your replies :) Obviously i am not sure which one of you is truely right but i am going to satisfy both of your suggestions anyway. I will transfer my filter sponges over keeping them wet in my current tank water. I am also going to use the substrate from my current tank plus a bit extra because i simply dont have enough gravel around the house (thats not in my current tank). Thank you again for your replies :thumbs:

i second modernhamlet here

I never bothered swapping substrate between tanks, just filter media and never had a problem. I only ever cycled one tank and then just seed new tanks with filter media.

Well i purchased 2 second hand tanks fully cycled, but had to get them to my house, and set them up straight away, as the lady was giving me some fish too.

She bagged me the Filter sponges up in bags with tank water, and we saved the substrate still in the tank with water in just covering it.

I got home, filled up with dechlorinated water, added the filter sponges, waited for temp to stabilise, then added the fish.

I am pleased to say, the fish are ALL still alive, i test the water every other day, and its perfect, the only thing i was a little concerned about was her ph level was 9 :crazy: and mine is 7.5, but like i said the fish are fine.

C x

:*

Most reactions

Back