New Tank Setup Problem

B20luda

Reaction score
Hello, i recently setup a 72 gallon bow front aquarium, im using afican chiclid sand substrate, lace rock and some plants, this is my first time using sand, Im using a brand new marineland emperor 400 bio wheel power filter, its been running for almost a week now and the water is still cloudy compaired to my well established 20 gallon... I have 3 chiclids in my 20 and they really need a bigger home but i dont want to put them in yet, so my question is whats causing this and how do i fix it.. Thanks for any advice

Did you wash the sand before you put it into the tank? If not, it could cloud up the tank.The filter should remove it, but it will take a while.

Did you wash the sand before you put it into the tank? If not, it could cloud up the tank.The filter should remove it, but it will take a while.

no i didnt wash the sand i was told it didnt really matter, seems how the sand i got was already soaked in something..how long do you thing it will take? thanks for the fast response

You're welcome. I didn't know it came in an already packaged bag. I don't know how long it will clear, maybe someone else on here has more information about the specific sand you got. Sorry for the lack of information about that sand.

ya the bag that the sand came in said it was for africans i think it helps keep the PH up where it supposed to be, for being a new tank and all, my filters are really dirty, so im sure the filters doing its job... my plan was to transfer my fish on thursday but i want to make sure the water is ok...

Just give it some time to clear up. When I put sand in my tank for the first time (after over an hour of washing) it was still cloudy for a couple of days. Now it has finally cleared up and it's been a few weeks now.

Just give it some time to clear up. When I put sand in my tank for the first time (after over an hour of washing) it was still cloudy for a couple of days. Now it has finally cleared up and it's been a few weeks now.

ok guys/gals i have no idea what to do now the tank is still pretty cloudy water tests ok but it just wont clear up, the filters are pretty dirty but what should i do? water change? chemical? ??

Most reactions

Back