New Tank Oranda fantail + white clouds?

Alessiobux

Reaction score
Hello from Italy :) nice to meet you all !
I'm moving my 2 young oranda Faintail from a 50 liters fish tank to a 135 liters new fish tank ( photo )
my plan is to add 6-8 white clouds fish with my orandas and also I plan to create some more hiden spots with more plants and a tree branches on the side

is a good idea ? to add white clouds? I really love to add a group of fast small fishes and the only possible option they suggest me are them ( same region, cold water )
P.s. Faintail are slow fish so I dont think in a big tank they can catch them and eat them:oh:

any other combination idea ? I don't want to add other orandas to the tank

thank you

529d0ec63b2c9c0a0624e7e13c453e6e.jpg

Last edited:
Hi and welcome to the forum :)

As long as the white cloud mountain minnows get fed a suitable sized food, they should be ok.

Don't put big bits of wood or rock in tanks with goldfish. Goldfish are open water fish that can be easily damaged by wood and rocks in tanks. Just use plants and the round river rocks you have in the tank, but nothing else.

Goldfish need lots of plant matter in their diet and suffer from health issues if they don't get it. Duckweed is a small floating plant that most goldfish love to eat. It is easy to grow indoors or outdoors, and can be used to supplement the fish's diet.

Hello from Italy :) nice to meet you all !
I'm moving my 2 young oranda Faintail from a 50 liters fish tank to a 135 liters new fish tank ( photo )
my plan is to add 6-8 white clouds fish with my orandas and also I plan to create some more hiden spots with more plants and a tree branches on the side

is a good idea ? to add white clouds? I really love to add a group of fast small fishes and the only possible option they suggest me are them ( same region, cold water )
P.s. Faintail are slow fish so I dont think in a big tank they can catch them and eat them:oh:

any other combination idea ? I don't want to add other orandas to the tank

thank you

529d0ec63b2c9c0a0624e7e13c453e6e.jpg
Hi welcome to the forum :) Really good choice to get them the bigger tank they are going to look awesome in there. If you are adding fish other than Goldfish (depending on where you live and how cold it gets in winter) you could add a heater in there but set low to like 16/17c (or lower with some fish) just to make sure you dont go too cold.

With white cloud minnows the risk is them being eaten but you could look at some of the Danio species which are a big faster, like Danio Choprae - there are possibly some other barb species that would work too. From the minnows perspective the biggest risk is being eaten but also from the goldfishs side is the risk the minnow gets stuck which gold fish are renowned for doing.

Wills

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Don't put big bits of wood or rock in tanks with goldfish. Goldfish are open water fish that can be easily damaged by wood and rocks in tanks. Just use plants and the round river rocks you have in the tank, but nothing else.

Goldfish need lots of plant matter in their diet and suffer from health issues if they don't get it. Duckweed is a small floating plant that most goldfish love to eat. It is easy to grow indoors or outdoors, and can be used to supplement the fish's diet.
Hi Colin and thx for the replay

- I dont plan to put a extra-large wood but some medium one curved and planted, so the small fish can hide and run away in case the oranda some times start getting aggressive :)
- I didnt know about the Duckweed thank you very much! I will buy it asap! I give to my fish Spirulina, gold oranda sinking pallets food, some times the flakes ( I deep them in the water first ) and some vegetables like broccoli and peas!

Hi welcome to the forum :) Really good choice to get them the bigger tank they are going to look awesome in there. If you are adding fish other than Goldfish (depending on where you live and how cold it gets in winter) you could add a heater in there but set low to like 16/17c (or lower with some fish) just to make sure you dont go too cold.

With white cloud minnows the risk is them being eaten but you could look at some of the Danio species which are a big faster, like Danio Choprae - there are possibly some other barb species that would work too. From the minnows perspective the biggest risk is being eaten but also from the goldfishs side is the risk the minnow gets stuck which gold fish are renowned for doing.

Wills
Hi wills!

wow the Danio Choprae they look fantastic! now I feel to switch from white clouds to them lol!
as for water value are similar? I saw the temperature they stay in 16C - 26C its perferct for me :) I reach 18 in winter and 25 in summer

so the Danio is the best choice ?

Hi wills!

wow the Danio Choprae they look fantastic! now I feel to switch from white clouds to them lol!
as for water value are similar? I saw the temperature they stay in 16C - 26C its perferct for me :) I reach 18 in winter and 25 in summer

so the Danio is the best choice ?
They are a really nice fish, they are quite tough too and fast. My only hesitancy is that they like a long tank and faster flow, I think your tank is long enough but higher flow is not good for the goldfish so I'm not sure they are the best candidate... but they could be. Wonder if someone else could chip in an opinion?

These were just as an example though of a smaller schooling fish with that lower end temperature range. This is an interesting article I found and a pretty good source https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/aquarium/goldfish-tank-mates.

Tank mates for goldfish are controversial but this seems like a good list of fish to go with them - interesting the white clouds are on there too. The Brochis are a lovely fish too, really chunky little beasts when fully grown.

Wills

They are a really nice fish, they are quite tough too and fast. My only hesitancy is that they like a long tank and faster flow, I think your tank is long enough but higher flow is not good for the goldfish so I'm not sure they are the best candidate... but they could be. Wonder if someone else could chip in an opinion?

These were just as an example though of a smaller schooling fish with that lower end temperature range. This is an interesting article I found and a pretty good source https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/aquarium/goldfish-tank-mates.

Tank mates for goldfish are controversial but this seems like a good list of fish to go with them - interesting the white clouds are on there too. The Brochis are a lovely fish too, really chunky little beasts when fully grown.

Wills
If I move my exit tube of the filter on the line of water, and I buy a small underwater fan on the bottom of the tank ? should that be ok ?

Those two are my Red I named them Gin and Lemon ( they are in a empty 50L will move them as soon the new tank Is rdy and tested 1 month )

Screenshot_2022-05-10-10-10-42-152_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg

Screenshot_2022-05-10-10-10-33-580_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg

I wouldn't say Danio Choprae would suit cooler water, and to be honest they may just be a bit on the small size.
It seems to me that if you're looking for colourful, busy fish that can stand almost temperate conditions then I would look closely at the Odessa Barb. It's OK with lack of anything much for water flow, is slightly larger and can do OK at 16 degrees Celsius. From personal experience I'd say that it can pretty much hold it's own against bullies too.

Last edited:
I wouldn't say Danio Choprae would suit cooler water, and to be honest they may just be a bit on the small size.
It seems to me that if you're looking for colourful, busy fish that can stand almost temperate conditions then I would look closely at the Odessa Barb. It's OK with lack of anything much for water flow, is slightly larger and can do OK at 16 degrees Celsius. From personal experience I'd say that it can pretty much hold it's own against bullies too.
Hi Lynnzer, they are pretty, but checking around I found out this:
" Due to the Odessa Barb being a fin nipper pairing them with fish who are slow-moving or have long-flowing fins is not ideal. "

Plus they eat 3 times a day, I cant risk to give my reds too much food and them too less food and run all the time a food competition between them :0..

Plus for what i read they are extremly sensibile on water changes: While this fish is hardy and can survive in a variety of water conditions once these conditions are set they should not be changed as the Odessa Barb is extremely sensitive to frequent change.

dunno... I think they dont fit well with my reds :(

Are you sure they are Orandas? They look more like either Fantails or Ryukins? At that size Orandas would have their Wen pretty well developed.

Wills

Are you sure they are Orandas? They look more like either Fantails or Ryukins? At that size Orandas would have their Wen pretty well developed.

Wills
They are Orandas

one is Oranda Ryukin the lemon and black one and the other one I think Oranda Fantail

Last edited:
I'm not that well up on goldfish types, but everything I've read says that what makes a fish an oranda is the growth on it's head. Fantails are another type, as are ryukins. There doesn't seem to be any such things as fantail orandas or ryukin orandas.

I'm not that well up on goldfish types, but everything I've read says that what makes a fish an oranda is the growth on it's head. Fantails are another type, as are ryukins. There doesn't seem to be any such things as fantail orandas or ryukin orandas.
I'm new too so this is why i post this from wikipedia O_O
  • Oranda Fantail
  • Oranda Ryukin
Then the Italian wikipidia should be fixed lol

Last edited:
An Oranda looks like this (not my pic)

1652193891837.png

So they have the brain looking bump on the head called a Wen. This is a red cap but you can get fully red ones and fully black ones etc. Similar looking are Ranchus and Lionheads.

With yours I think they are Ryukins because of the high backs and you have a red and a calico. A Fantail is a type in its own right but they have a flat back but otherwise the same flowing fins and body shape.

And great now I want a fancy goldfish haha

Wills

Most reactions

Back