New Tank - Not Sure About The Stand

Poya

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I want to setup a new tank, it's about 45 U.S. gallons, which is approximately 174 liters. The tank is kinda wider than the stand and the stand is a bit narrower but it is made of oak wood and it's pretty sturdy. I took a couple of photos that I am attaching to this post. The photos show the scenario better. Please have a look and let me know what you think. I want to make sure the tank will be safe before I fill it up with water.

Thanks a lot

Attachments

• IMG_2237.jpg
    IMG_2237.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_2238.jpg
    IMG_2238.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 40
I would recommend not using that stand as it is. Most of the bottom of the tank is unsupported and this will put a lot of stress on your tank. Consider increasing the width of the stand.

No, cannot be used. The base of the tank is load bearing and if not supported at all points will develop stress points and crack.

If you desperately want to use this stand it will need a new top sheet at least the footprint of the tank base and thick enough not to flex. This will still leave you the issue of approx. 200kg balancing on a thin stand therefore not stable.

Looks very risky to me :crazy:

Think, is it really worth the risk?

Question, as I can't quite make out from the photos. Does the tank base touch the stand or does it stand on the black rim?

Not that it changes the fact that I don't think that the stand is suitable, just that it changes what I would advise instead.

From the looks of it the front and back panes are entirely unsupported as the black bottom trim is in mid-air & the end panes are 80% supported along the black bottom trim on the sides.

That means the entire bottom of the tank is supported only at either end on two thin plastic strips, no support at the front, rear or entire middle.

That was pretty much my reading of it. The stand is not appropriate for the tank either way though. Just thought that it was worth clarifying before they came back with a new stand option and asked if that one would work.

It looks like a standard floating base design which will mean all of the bottom trim will need supported equally and level so a base sheet with at least 1" clearance of the tank footprint will be required and thick enough not to flex.

I still wouldn't even suggest placing a top sheet onto that stand as the narrow width and stability will still be an insurmountable issue.

Most reactions

Back