New Tank mates

Betta Lover

Reaction score
I saw a new fish at my lfs, and it was called a spike tailed paradise fish.When I looked it up online, it said that it was in the same family as a betta.Would it be okay for me to put a pair of them in my 20 gallon aquarium, or will they shred their tank mates, including my four female bettas?

Betta Lover

I wouldn't mix them. Gouramis can be very territorial. They'll get much larger than the Bettas, and Bettas can have a problem living with other colorful fish. They want to attack. Gouramis are one of my favorite fish, BTW. :fun:

Betta Lover said:
I saw a new fish at my lfs, and it was called a spike tailed paradise fish.When I looked it up online, it said that it was in the same family as a betta.Would it be okay for me to put a pair of them in my 20 gallon aquarium, or will they shred their tank mates, including my four female bettas?

Betta Lover
r u sure it's the same family as the betta and not gourami?

imo, do not mix them, the gourami can be very territorial and might attack ur betta or ur betta might attack the gourami :crazy:

Kev

Both Bettas and Gouramis are Labrinth fish, which is probably what Betta Lover is going by. ;)

I have found it very difficult to mix labrynth fish. I have a paradise gourami which i think what you are referring to. It will not live with any other labrynth fish. I have tried gouramis and bettas alike. Now these fish were the betta of the hobby before the betta took over. I house mine in a 5 gal penplax tank. They need no heater, no filter, no airation. They can stand lower temp water and gulp air from the surface naturally. As long as you change their water regularly they will thrive. If you go with a pair, you will need to watch them, as they will fight.

Is this the fish in question?
paradis1.jpg

Right that they are sorta in the same family becuase they are both labrinith fish and anything that looks like a betta, the betta might think it is one and tear it to shreds or vice versa. (Guppies, gouramis, ect. fall into the sorta look like a betta category)

Most reactions

Back