New Tank - Keeping the 38Liter, and Setting up a 200L (50g)

Yande

Reaction score
OK, 2 months into this hobby and I have a nice little tank happening. All is well. At present I have 2 Canister filters operating in the 38L, (yes 2 Cannister Filters and yes, it has cycled.) And yes, 2 cannisters for a reason.

I am planning on moving one of those filters into my larger 200l tank, (building Stand at present) thinking that when I do, I will not have to wait 4 weeks for the tank to cycle.

In the mean time, I bought some CerMedia MarinePure, on advice, and wish to install that media into the Filter I will be transferring, that means, removing some of the media already installed in the cycled filter.

Bearing in mind that this is a work in progress, and it will be some weeks until I actually install a filter into the second (new) tank, could I just place the CerMedia MarinePure in the 38L tank, sitting in a filter bag, in the hope that the necessary bacteria would grow in it?

Sounds ok. thanks for any advice.

Setting up a new tank is a daunting process, hence will be reading as many threads as possible. Our little tank has a Betta, so that narrowed the options for stocking for that one, (BTW all fish in that tank get along great) This new tank, wow, there are so many options. Loving the challenge.

Attachments

• Tank  2017  April IMG_9977.JPG
    Tank 2017 April IMG_9977.JPG
    555.6 KB · Views: 95
Don't forget that both canisters together will only have enough bacteria for the ammonia made by the fish in the 38 litre tank (is that just the one betta?). You will need to grow a lot more bacteria to support a fully stocked 200 litre tank. Unless you intend stocking the 200 litre very slowly you will still need to go through a fishless cycle to increase the numbers of bacteria - though because you will start with some bacteria it won't take as long to cycle it for the bigger tank as starting with a brand new filter.

Thanks for your input essjay. (1 Betta, 2 Corydoras, (small) and 7 neon Tetras) I had not thought of that. And yes, stocking is going to be a very slow process, especially considering, living in the country, we are awaiting a trip to Sydney to see what other stocks are available. Having said that, we will start out very slowly.
Feel I have to devolop an aquascape, which, like our garden, landscape. is not one of our stronger artistic points.
Shall continue our research. Any advice/ideas appreciated.

tetras and cory aren't suitable for your tank. Tetras require a school of six and can easily nip the fins of a betta or become a victim themselves to "bullying" corys also need a school of six with a fine gravel or sand substrate which you cannot provide in the image.

Most reactions

Back