New Tank / Journal With Pics

Defeating cyano is a little more difficult as it can also fix silicates and atmospheric nitrogen for energy... Unfortunately usually the best method for defeating cyano is to make sure your input water source has as low a TDS as possible, vaccum it up when possible, and wait it out. Wish I had better news

I used chemiclean with great results. Knocked mine out with two doses. Don't over dose though.

I did a water change, dosed chemiclean, then two days later did another water change, a day later I dosed again and two days later did another water change. It knoced it out pretty nicely.

Usually not. The risk with chemiclean is that it's an antibiotic and any antibiotic has a risk of damaging beneficial bacteria that may be living in your tank as well as the cyano. MOST people have good results with it but I really only reccomend it as a pulling your hair out last resort. It can also be ineffective and in theory create an antibiotic resistant strain that you won't be able to kill...

Okay well I will try my best to get rid of it. It seems to get alot worse in the mornings, a couple of hours after the lights come on. It seems to only be affecting the sand at this point and my pussy coral!!!!! I am now going to do waterchanges every three days and syphon out as much as I can each time.
All my readings are still 0 on phosphates and nitrates 0. All my green hair algae has basically dissappeared but I have alot of this brown stuff, could anyone tell me what it is??

Now for pics:
Cyano on my pussy coral, is this a problem??
P1010671.jpg

New brown algae???
P1010650.jpg

Cyano!!!!!
P1010669.jpg

P1010667.jpg

The green star polyps I fragged, doing well!!!
P1010652.jpg

P1010653.jpg

Thanks

For the gravel part I just disturb and syphon, then I turn over the gravel somewhat especially at the front of the tank it, the algae, forms little clumps which adhere to the gravel and are easily removed. All should come clean in the end. It is a long process though and patience is definately the key on the salty side. My tank is set up nearly a year now. I'm overhauling it by adding a sump (something I should have planned for in the begining but didn't) I am only at the edge of adding my first corals due to algal issues, I need to get the tank with virtually zero algae before I go spending big doh on the corals. Purple rockwork, 2 clownfish, crabs and snails is all that I have to amuse me, oh yeah I almost forgot...a helluv a lot of maintenance. I've used a large bucket of salt mix for waterchanges already and not a coral in sight.
I hope the sump and a DI unit coupled to my RO system will be the holy grail.
LOL
Stick in there, I know its not easy but your not alone on this.
Regards
BigC

Most reactions

Back