New Tank Help

1patrick1

Reaction score
i just set up my 60l tank with fluval 105. It is kinda cloudy which is normal (this happened with my other tank and lasted for a few days) but now i am scared about what happens when you havent washed the gravel/sand enough? i am quite sure i have washed it enough but i am kinda paranoid about it? can anyone put my mind at rest?

i just set up my 60l tank with fluval 105. It is kinda cloudy which is normal (this happened with my other tank and lasted for a few days) but now i am scared about what happens when you havent washed the gravel/sand enough? i am quite sure i have washed it enough but i am kinda paranoid about it? can anyone put my mind at rest?

Did you rinse the gravel till the water was clear or almost clear? if so then you should be fine. I think you only rinse it to just make your tank nice and clean straight away anyway don't think there is anything harmful about dirty stones. You could always do a small water change with the gravel cleaner to be on the safe side :)

It will be fine the dust will settle and it will clear up sometimes its takes a day or two.You can buy a water clarifier chemical that speeds the clearing process up. What that does it is clumps the sand particles up and drops them to the floor. Just so you know when you add water to the tank use a plate or something to pour the water on don't pour the water directly on the sand or it will cause it to cloud up.

Have you added fish yet? If you have added fish, and haven't cycled the tank, then you're stuck in a fish-in cycle. The cloudiness is from there being too much ammonia built up in the tank.

If you haven't added fish, then you could try adding an airstone to reduce the cloudiness.

Just so you know when you add water to the tank use a plate or something to pour the water on don't pour the water directly on the sand or it will cause it to cloud up.
Opps that might have been the problem. does that just meant it will take longer to clear?

Have you added fish yet? If you have added fish, and haven't cycled the tank, then you're stuck in a fish-in cycle. The cloudiness is from there being too much ammonia built up in the tank.

No i am starting to cycle it tomorrow after i get some ammonia then i will add some mature media. I will try the air stone though

Did you rinse the gravel till the water was clear or almost clear?

the water coming off was just about clear i think

thanks this has taken a huge weight off my mind

ok now i am really worried again! everything is covered in bubbles! i can"t remember this happening in my other tank! is it normall? will it go away?

yeah the bubbles are nothing to worry about they will clear over time

Yes everytime you add water for the first time to a tank bubbles will be everywere including the fish most of the time. It will be cleared up by morning if not sooner! :good:

Most reactions

Back