New Tank, Gourami + ?

pandalize

Reaction score
Hello there! I have a 10 Gallon tank with no heater (willing to get one if needed), and I am not sure the best fish for a community tank. I know I want a neon blue dwarf gourami. I have heard that they are okay as long as they have somewhere to hide and the other fish are peaceful. I would really love having bright fish, but I understand the safety of the gourami is what should come first. Any good suggestions? How many other fish would you add?

Oh, I also have a lionhead goldfish currently in my possession. I know, no one is very fond of them... they poop far too much. Without going into a very long story, I have him and I'm not getting rid of him. Could he fit into this tank? He seems pretty docile.

Thanks, and looking forward to hearing your suggestions!

If you go with the gouramis you will have to get a heater. The goldfish won't need a heater, but gets too big for a ten gallon.

No, a ten gallon is no place for a Goldie. Unfortunately, Dwarf Gouramis are prone to a fatal Iridovirus. You won't be able to fit a community in a 10G, I'm afraid, unless it's 4/5 small fish and - depending on filtration - two or three Otos, but Otos like a larger group than that. Have you room for a bigger tank?.

That tank is only suitable for micro species although you can get a reasonable community. You'll probably have to do a fair bit of chasing around places as the following fish are not always easy to find.

Pygmy cories
Galaxy Rasbora
Sparkling gourami
Endlers livebearers
Harlequin rasboras
Honey Gouramis
Other Micro Rasbora sp.
Cherry Shrimp
Guppies
I've had no joy with Otos in a small tank as it doesn't generate enough algae for them to graze on. They just seem to slowly deteriorate and die. Might just be me though.

:good:

Most reactions

Back