New Tank, Daily Test Results....fish In Cycle.

Test results update.

Day 1.

PH 7.6
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrates 5

Day 2.

PH 7.2
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrates 5

Although PH is thought to be 7.4 as per high scale average.

Day 3.

PH 7.6 low scale, 7.4 High scale
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrates 5

Day 4.

7.4 High scale
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrates 5

Day 5.

7.4 High scale
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrates 10

Slight increase in Nitrates.

How we doing so far?

So far you look like you are doing fine Jotto.
Your assumption about testing when overlapping tests give different results is correct. If I have a maximum reading on the low range and another number on the high range, the high range test is right. Now you are recording 7.4 on the high range which, if memory serves me, is the minimum for that test, so it is time to check it with the normal range test and make sure it is not really 7.2 or something similar.
Your only objective during a fish-in cycle is to maintain the tank's water safe for the fish. That means that any reading of ammonia or nitrites should be taken as a warning sign that things are deteriorating. Don't worry about keeping enough of either chemical for the cycle to take place. The cycle will happen regardless of what you do but the fish will only survive it if the water is kept in the safe range.

What OldMan47 said.

Re. feeding: most tropical fish can easily survive without food for two weeks (for example, if you go on holiday, etc), so you have nothing to worry about. Most fish can easily deal with being fed only every other day, even. Feeding only so much as the fish can completely finish in 30 seconds is a good guideline. Also most fish benefit from not being fed on one day per week.

Test results update.

Day 1.

PH 7.6
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrates 5

Day 2.

PH 7.2
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrates 5

Day 3.

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrates 5

Day 4.

7.4 High scale
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrates 5

Day 5.

7.4 High scale
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrates 10

Day 6.

7.4 High scale
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrates 10

Day 7.

7.4 High scale, 7.6 Normal Scale
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrates Paler than 10 but darker than 5.

A slight drop in the Nitrates reading on day 7.

Kitty Kat, I see that statement about fish surviving for some time without feeding quite often and find that I must agree with it but, and this is a big but (only one t there guys), most people can easily survive for a week without any food as long as they get enough water but it is not a good idea to require them to go through that kind of fast. Fish thrive on daily feedings and although they can survive for significant times without feeding it is not in their best interest to require them to go through that. It is especially a bad idea to feed them as if every other day or every third day is enough. It is not enough food for fish to thrive but, as is true of any other animal, they can tolerate a certain amount of starvation without serious health problems.

Test results update.

Day 1.

PH 7.6
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrates 5

Day 2.

PH 7.2
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrates 5

Day 3.

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrates 5

Day 4.

PH 7.4 High scale
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrates 5

Day 5.

PH 7.4 High scale
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrates 10

Day 6.

PH 7.4 High scale
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrates 10

Day 7.

PH 7.4 High scale, 7.6 Normal Scale
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0

Day 8.

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0

Day 9.

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrates 10.

Test results update.

Day 1.

PH 7.6
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrates 5

Day 2.

PH 7.2
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrates 5

Day 3.

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrates 5

Day 4.

PH 7.4 High scale
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrates 5

Day 5.

PH 7.4 High scale
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrates 10

Day 6.

PH 7.4 High scale
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrates 10

Day 7.

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0

Day 8.

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0

Day 9.

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrates 10.

Day 10.

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrates 10

Day 11.

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrates 10.

Thinking about adding a few more fish. Readings seem to be stable.

..surprisingly good. :good:

I would personally increase feeding for the next week and get more fish next weekend if the readings are still the same then.

Kitty Kat, I see that statement about fish surviving for some time without feeding quite often and find that I must agree with it but, and this is a big but (only one t there guys), most people can easily survive for a week without any food as long as they get enough water but it is not a good idea to require them to go through that kind of fast. Fish thrive on daily feedings and although they can survive for significant times without feeding it is not in their best interest to require them to go through that. It is especially a bad idea to feed them as if every other day or every third day is enough. It is not enough food for fish to thrive but, as is true of any other animal, they can tolerate a certain amount of starvation without serious health problems.

Well, many humans could also do with less food :rolleyes: I mainly give this "reassurance" to beginners who are cycling and worried about under-feeding.

..surprisingly good. :good:

I would personally increase feeding for the next week and get more fish next weekend if the readings are still the same then.

Well, many humans could also do with less food :rolleyes: I mainly give this "reassurance" to beginners who are cycling and worried about under-feeding.

Is there a general rule with feeding? At the mo, we are at the point where the lil tetras will swim about and have all the flake in about 30 seconds or so. Its only about 5/6 flakes and they nibble it and chase it around. Its not like its all gone in a few seconds and they are looking for more.

If readings are still good this week will look at a few Black Mollies and perhaps a couple of Dwarf Gouramis next weekend. Have already looked....lol. Just playing that waiting game right now, very difficult!

There are no "rules", it is mainly personal experience :) For my "established" tanks, I feed twice per day (amount is what can be eaten in 30 seconds): normally flakes, pellets, tabs; one day per week with live (frozen) food; one day per week with no food.

Test results update.

Day 1.

PH 7.6
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrates 5

Day 2.

PH 7.2
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrates 5

Day 3.

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrates 5

Day 4.

PH 7.4 High scale
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrates 5

Day 5.

PH 7.4 High scale
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrates 10

Day 6.

PH 7.4 High scale
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrates 10

Day 7.

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0

Day 8.

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0

Day 9.

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrates 10.

Day 10.

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrates 10

Day 11.

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrates 10.

Day 12.

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrates 10

Day 13.

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrates 10.

Still no change in the readings. My lfs said all appears to be good and was probably due to the use of stability whilst setting up the tank.
Liking the look of Dalmatian Mollies, are they the same to keep as blacks?

Mollies are ok, most mollies you will see in a shop will be the same species/hybrid, regardless of the colour.

Personally, I would next add 3 more of the same tetra. Have you got ideas for final stocklist?

Been a few days since my last posting but all results have stayed constant with perhaps a very small rise in the nitrates today. Colour seems very slightly darker than 10 but very difficult to see.
Have added 3 black mollies and 2 dwarf gouramis.

Our final stock wish list is looking like this....

7 Black Phantom Tetra
7 Harlequin Rasobora
3 Black molly
2 Ram
7 Guppy

And possibly, depending on how calm the tank turns out to be, A Betta Splendens.

We did wonder about a small algae eating 'sucker' of some kind. Any recommendations?

Most reactions

Back