New Tank 280 Litres, But What To Put In It?

FreshandSaltowner

Reaction score
i have decided to get a saltwater tank and i was wondering what fish/inverts to put in it.
it is about 280liters, 70 gallons ish

i'd like a reef tank, but some fish i might like to get won't go well with that.

are bannerfish ok with corals, anenomis, shrimps ect...

thanks for the help

Most definitely not. Most all forms of bannerfish or butterfly fish are NOT compatible with corals, and usually incompatible with small inverts. The only butterfly type sepcies that MIGHT be coral compatible would be long-nose butterflies but still not worth the risk IMO.

Saltwater is the coolest :hey:

For Bannerfish, you'll want this guy, Heniochus diphreutes, or the Schooling Bannerfish:
heniochus1.jpg

I'm pretty sure they are the only reef-safe Bannerfish, since they feed from the water column on plankton, instead of feeding on rocks.

-Lynden

Those are Long Finned butterflys, not reef safe. You're thinking of Long Nosed butterflys Lynden :nod:

No Lynden was correct. That particular bannerfish is reef safe and is also one of the more hardy species of butterflys. I would recommend them over any other butterfly. BTW make sure you get the scientific name right. Lynden provided the correct one so you can research off of it.

The longfin banner fish (Heniochus Acuminatus) is the one that is not reef safe and the two can be confused very easily.

Huh, strange. I actually googled the latin name "Heniochus diphreutes" and the first resource I read claimed it to be not reef-safe. Further probing shows that most sites claim it to in fact be reef safe. Guess I should know better than to believe one source...

*opens mouth, inserts foot*

:blush:

Don't kick yourself too hard, you'd never be able to tell the difference from pictures, only from seeing them side by side with descriptions. I had to go to my trusty pocket guide, Scott Michael is about one of the best sources I have found!

Most reactions

Back