New Substrate

Dana C

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I am just setting up a new tank after my last one sprung a leak and can't decide on which sand to use.
I think I used Argos play sand in my last tank, but before I buy that again and spend the next day washing it I was wondering if anybody could recommend a sand suitable for corydoras.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Argos play sand is safe for aquarium use. It’s similar to Quikrete sand here in the US, as far as it’s color and grain size goes.

Just to give you a comparison, here is the Quikrete sand with a Cory:
9C895FB7-3B9D-4F2A-9603-E29FD83F7FA8.jpeg

The Argos Play Sand, from what UK members have previously posted, would seem to be a good sand, safe and inexpensive. The only thing better would be an aquarium river sand, and these (at least in the US and Canada) are much more expensive but being true river-worn sand are safe for substrate fish. I changed to Quikrete Play Sand some 8 or 9 years back, and have never regretted it, and my group of wild-caught cories are my pride and joy.

Thanks, I'll probably stick to the Argos sand again as it's still safe to use. That is a lovely looking Cory you have, they are my favourite fish so I work the tank around them.

Thanks, I'll probably stick to the Argos sand again as it's still safe to use. That is a lovely looking Cory you have, they are my favourite fish so I work the tank around them.

If you are referring to the cory in the photo in post #2 above, that isn't my fish (sadly!), probably @PheonixKingZ cory.

Yeah play sand is winner winner chicken dinner it just makes me super paranoid when adding as I never feel like you can wash it enough

Thanks for both of your replies, Argos it is then.
I remember washing it last time, and doing an extra couple of rinses after thinking I had finished just to be safe lol

I have rinsed new play sand minimally for years now. I place about 4-5 cups in a bucket, rinse 4-5 times, that's it. It is just dirt, and won't harm the fish, and it settles out in a day. There are ways of filling the tank after the sand is in to have a much clearer tank.

Thanks for both of your replies, Argos it is then.
I remember washing it last time, and doing an extra couple of rinses after thinking I had finished just to be safe lol
Washing it was very easy for me. Very dirty but took the least amount of time of all my substrates. If you've got a shower with a detachable head, unscrew the head and shove the hose in the sand. Swish it around for 5-10 minutes and it's practically perfect.

It settles completely in the tank after about an hour at most.

Thanks for the washing tips, I haven't been on here for years and had forgotten how helpful people were :)

Most reactions

Back