New Substrate For Shrimp

travelling-guppy

Reaction score
I have a Fluval Edge 23L with 6 green neons, an assassin snail and a male guppy. I would like to keep red cherry shrimps and live plants too. I have white gravel which is quite chunky. This looked stunning when I set up the tank but now has turned green and looks a bit tatty. I was thinking of changing to a dark colour. Should I change, and what to? Also how should I change substrate? If I choose a different substrate can I still use my gravel hoover siphon?
Any info gratefully received. The tank is fully cycled and has been stable for over a year. 

The shrimp might be able to help clean up the gravel. The gravel is green because of algae, when I do water changes is stick the siphon in the gravel to prevent algae growth and not just change the water. 

To change the substrate you would need to completely empty the tank and just take it out either with hands or a bendable plastic cup (so you don't scratch your tank)

You can still use the siphon, but make sure you mix the gravel a little to prevent algae growing on the new stuff.

Also with the old gravel you can try to wash it and just reuse it. 

Yes, you can change tank substrate, as bluesword mentions, emptying the tank completely of water and carefully taking the old gravel out without scratching the glass is generally the best method.

However you have neons and assassin snails, i'd temporarily rehouse them in a container with airstone while you do this work. 

Do be aware of your assassin snail which bury  in the gravel so be on lookout for that.

Choice of gravel is entirely up to you, sand, fine gravel or soil type substrate, personally I like fine black gravel as this shows the shrimps and plants better and brings out the colours more, especially with a black background poster.

Clean and rinse new gravel, in buckets easiest method imo, with clean tap water, rinse and rinse and rinse again until no more dirt / debris comes from the gravel

And yes, you can continue to use you gravel vac, in fact i'd recommend this anyway, just as long you don't overdo the cleaning of substrate too much as theres lots of bacteria on substrate.

One last tip, shrimps love to have plants and wood / decor to hide and eat from, simple moss balls and java moss would be beneficial as well as some small plants such as anubias and crypts.

Thanks. Both interesting and helpful posts. I will probably go with black fine gravel then. Any idea how much i will need for my little tank?
I have a couple of simple moss balls already. I know shrimps like java moss. Is it easy to grow? Do I have to do things with fertiliser and CO2? 

travelling-guppy said:
Thanks. Both interesting and helpful posts. I will probably go with black fine gravel then. Any idea how much i will need for my little tank?
I have a couple of simple moss balls already. I know shrimps like java moss. Is it easy to grow? Do I have to do things with fertiliser and CO2? 

You do not have to go with black gravel if you prefer something else, go with what you feel you like best.
Black fine gravel is just my own personal choice that I have in my tank. Check out my sig pic.

Try with 1 bag of gravel, either 2.5kg or 3kg should suffice I would imagine for a simple low tech set up in a 23litre tank.

You have moss balls already, excellent, java moss is one of the easiest growing mosses out there, attach to wood or decor whatever you like and leave alone, it will grow, sooner or later you may need to trim the moss back to stop from growing wild in your tank
smile.png

No, Co2 is not really needed at all for low tech plants. Although its good to add ferts once a week as this helps the plants good health, not critical though.

Most reactions

Back