New Setup - Guidance Needed Please

dalexander

Reaction score
Hi all,

I was just hoping some of you folks would have a look at my setup, and tell me if I doing things correctly, many thanks.
Tank Setup

110 Litre Juwel Rekord 800 Tank (Juwel Bioflow 400 Filter)
100 Watt Juwel Heater
Ehiem Pickup 2010 Filter (Yes I double up on things :))
RENA SMARTHEATER 150W (Backup Heater)

I originally had a 54 Litre coldwater tank, but decided to keep tropicals, I used some of the old water to seed my filters. (I also used filterstart once tank was up to temp.)

Now this is where things may (Where) been done wrong:

1: 7th July initial tank setup.
2: 9th July after water test confirmed all was ok, I put in 6 Glow Lights
3: 10th July put in some real plants (Bunched) as I was told they can help with water quality
4: 16th July water test showed slight Amonia rise (carried out 20% water change)
5: 17th July retest of water all ok (Added 2 Corydoras, 4 harlequins and 2 Tetras)
6: 21st July water testing ok

Now reading the forums I can see I have been very hasty, and should have waited before putting fish in. Everyone seems happy in the tank, but your thoughts and advise would be very helpful.

Cheers

David

Hi all,

I was just hoping some of you folks would have a look at my setup, and tell me if I doing things correctly, many thanks.
Tank Setup

110 Litre Juwel Rekord 800 Tank (Juwel Bioflow 400 Filter)
100 Watt Juwel Heater
Ehiem Pickup 2010 Filter (Yes I double up on things :))
RENA SMARTHEATER 150W (Backup Heater)

I originally had a 54 Litre coldwater tank, but decided to keep tropicals, I used some of the old water to seed my filters. (I also used filterstart once tank was up to temp.)

Now this is where things may (Where) been done wrong:

1: 7th July initial tank setup.
2: 9th July after water test confirmed all was ok, I put in 6 Glow Lights
3: 10th July put in some real plants (Bunched) as I was told they can help with water quality
4: 16th July water test showed slight Amonia rise (carried out 20% water change)
5: 17th July retest of water all ok (Added 2 Corydoras, 4 harlequins and 2 Tetras)
6: 21st July water testing ok

Now reading the forums I can see I have been very hasty, and should have waited before putting fish in. Everyone seems happy in the tank, but your thoughts and advise would be very helpful.

Cheers

David

There's not a great deal you can do except keep testing every day and keep changing water. Oh and stop adding fish :D

Oh and did you remove the media (sponge, ceramic bits, whatever) from the old filter and put it in one of your new ones? If so, excellent.

Hi,

Thanks for this.

No, I just used some old tank water, and squeezed the old sponge on top of the new one. Should I do water changes every day, or just once a week as I am currently doing. And I will not be adding any new fishes until I know all is settled. :) Promise

Thanks

David

You need to test for ammonia and nitrite every day, and do a water change if they're anything other than zero.

Once you've had a week of double zeros, with no water changes, then your filter will be cycled and you can think about more fish; the cories, harlequins and the 'tetras' could do with being in shoals of 6+

Most reactions

Back