New mollys and tank

An774

Reaction score
I recently purchased a tropical tank set up I was told everything to buy and made sure it was all ready. I then put my new 4 male mollys in the tank but they seem to be hovering at the bottom and hiding I’m worried something is wrong!

Attachments

• 551D0BA9-6EE7-466F-B767-0D4B816E2D61.jpeg
    551D0BA9-6EE7-466F-B767-0D4B816E2D61.jpeg
    275.6 KB · Views: 38
And..... did you cycle the tank? Or did you just fill it and add the fish? Tell us how you set the tank up and if you have tested the water for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Also what is the water GH you have as mollies don't like soft water

I went to pets at home purchased, tank, heater, pump, salt stick, chemicals even a stress one. They tested it for me she said it was a little cloudy but I did move the soil to sort out a live plant before I grabbed some water for testing as they did it for me. I set it up last Wednesday they said wait 24 hours but I wanted to wait until yesterday evening just incase.

It sounds like you were given very poor advice and bad instruction

An aquarium takes weeks to prepare before adding fish, not days. There is only need to use a dechlorinator...not salt sticks or "chemicals for stress etc"

Please read this link, it holds the information you actually need

Also go to your water company's website, look for a section regarding hardness, it will ask for your post code. Enter it and screenshot the results and post them please as to have the right fish, it is necessary to have the right water for them to thrive

Your fish are likely to be suffering wrong water and an uncycled aquarium....instead of having shop staff do testing, it is best to have your own liquid test kit, especially when cycling

In Wiltshire you can have hard water which will suit mollies. That leaves ammonia/ nitrite poisoning from not cycling or settling in issues.
It is surprising that cycling issues have effected the fish so quickly, maybe you added a lot of food? Or maybe the tank is small? But to be safe I recommend you do a water change now. Take out around 75% of the water, using a gravel cleaning attachment of you have one. Then prepare new water with Dechlorinator as instructed on the packaging; make sure the new water is the same temperature as the tank water.
Please ask if you're not sure of anything :)

I went to pets at home purchased, tank, heater, pump, salt stick, chemicals even a stress one. They tested it for me she said it was a little cloudy but I did move the soil to sort out a live plant before I grabbed some water for testing as they did it for me. I set it up last Wednesday they said wait 24 hours but I wanted to wait until yesterday evening just incase.
Pets at home is the worst place you can go to buy and to get advice, honestly I've been there and lost fish, been given incorrect advice and bought products I didnt need. Theyve always got 4 or 5 tanks under treatment and covered up, their tanks are all on the same system so what's in one can easily transfer to another. I know this as my independent guy bought 6 tanks from a branch that was closing down. Avoid.

Not saying theres anything wrong with your fish by the way as I'm not experienced enough to know but I know pets at home

Most reactions

Back